    already can do with its spam controls...the one nice feature I DID see
    about it, is that you can set it to bounce spams. Thunderbird wont do
    this will it?

    Axl, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Correct me if I'm wrong (form an orderly queue, please!), but wouldn't
    bouncing spam just mean a whole load more network traffic sending
    messages back to faked return addresses. Which may in turn result in
    more bounces from, say, hotmail or whichever ISP they pretend to be using?

    cheers,

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

    David Harrison, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Nah, if the sending address is fake, you wont get the bounce BACK. At
    Least I've never had a problem with it in other programs thar bounce
    mail. If they didnt have that it would be nice if it had a spam reporter
    built in that automatically looked up the whois information from the
    originating IP and addressed a complaint to the system admin. I dont
    know how much good that kind of thing usually does, but it's SOMETHING.

    Axl, Sep 13, 2003
  4. Axl

    Gnomalarta Guest

    Whilst decanting a beer Gnomalarta smiled when he saw that Axl had
    written in
    <SNIP>

    Correct me too if you like but 1) your bounce to a false address will
    create traffic and 2) your bounce to a real spammer confirms you exist.

    Use something like MailWasher and not bounce or better still use K9 whose
    filters learn much quicker then TB. TB is a great email program but it's
    built in filter is very slow to learn.

    Charlie.

    Gnomalarta, Sep 13, 2003
  5. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Well, I havent had any problem with TB learning...for me, it seemed to
    learn quickly, but maybe thats because I have a sizable spam problem
    with one account. I used to use mailwasher but after a while it got to
    be a pain because it was just one more program to go through before
    getting to the email.

    I suppose you're right though....even bouncing with mailwasher may have
    been more of a confirmation than a detour ant...but then again, the only
    way a spammer would know the bounce is fake would be researching right?
    And how many would take the time...?

    Axl, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Axl

    Aaron Guest

    Well i hope you enjoy the bounce to an innocent guy. google "joe job"

    Aaron

    Aaron, Sep 18, 2003
  7. Axl

    Aaron Guest

    How many spammers would care that you are bouncing and remove you?
    Probably zero.

    So why bounce? One day one of the return addresses the spammers put will
    be yours and let's see how much you enjoy faked bounces.

    Aaron

    Aaron, Sep 18, 2003
  8. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Hey man I just try to take SOME sort of action instead of letting my
    inbox get raped.

    Obviously the most effective thing is to do a whois on the originating
    IP and report to the system admin....too bad most of them are worthless.

    Axl, Sep 18, 2003