Will Seinfeld ever come to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Angry Gamer, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Angry Gamer

    Angry Gamer Guest

    Subject says it all

    Angry Gamer, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Angry Gamer

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    TVShowsOnDVD.com is the place to check...

    roll out by late next year. 'It takes time,' he explains about adding extras --
    unseen footage, behind-the-scenes interviews -- to episodes filmed as long ago
    as 1990. 'We have to go backward to go forward.' But Columbia-TriStar, who will
    distribute, says it has no timetable for the release."

    SoHillsGuy, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Yes, someday. DVD or HD-DVD, whenever they get around to it. But
    they'll only do it if they think they can make more moolah than they
    already are with syndicated episodes.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Angry Gamer

    JAM Guest

    Actually, the world is not that cynical. This past summer Jerry Seinfeld
    stated that they are working on the DVDs, because people keep asking him for
    them. He knows that people can see them twice a day on TV, but he said that
    people like to own things. So, he is going to give them what they want. He
    said they are trying to find supplements, and that it is difficult to get
    some of them because the show started in 1990. Apparently, some of the
    stuff from back then has already gotten hard to come by. Once they round up
    everything, they will release the DVDs. The latest estimation is Fall 2004.

    JAM, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Well, I supposed if Seinfeld himself insisted, they'd have to.
    Otherwise though, business interests would prevail over keeping the
    diehard fans happy.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Nov 20, 2003
  6. I wish the owners of the rights to shows like Seinfeld or The Simpsons
    would learn that releasing the show on DVD won't strongly affect
    syndication. Majority of the fans who are hardcore enough to go out and
    buy the DVD's will still watch them when their on the air. I know
    numerous people -- in addition to myself -- who own all 3 Simpsons
    seasons that still watch the episodes on twice a day (even when the
    episode is from one of the seasons they own). In my area, I get
    Seinfeld 4 times a day, but I'd still probably watch at least a couple
    episodes a day even if I owned the whole series. I just hope they
    include some kind of commentary like Groening is doing for the Simpsons.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Nov 22, 2003
  7. Angry Gamer

    Stan Brown Guest

    Is that really true (modulo the misspelling of "they're", of
    course)?

    I have the DVDs of /Family Guy/, and feel no impulse whatever to
    watch chopped-up versions on cable. The same is true of the early
    /Simpsons/ and other TV series I've got on DVD.

    Am I all that unusual?(*) Since you say the "majority" of fans who
    own DVDs will still watch the same shows on the air, I have a simple
    question: why?

    (*) Well, yes, I am; but I mean in this specific context. :)

    Stan Brown, Nov 22, 2003
  8. Angry Gamer

    Wade365 Guest

    << Am I all that unusual?(*) Since you say the "majority" of fans who
    own DVDs will still watch the same shows on the air, I have a simple
    question: why? >>

    Well, for myself I watch the show on broadcast (Simps) because not everything
    is out on DVD yet, only the first three seasons... so tuning in, I often catch
    an ep I don't own (yet) or one that I missed during original air date. The
    other thing about it is some shows have become a nightly "thing"... like my
    folks used to watch the Tonight Show before Carson left... it's pattern
    behavior, and I'm not ashamed of it but I DO see that the time COULD be
    better-spent.

    While it's true that I don't plan religiously to watch the Simps anymore, I'm
    glad it's still on when I'm eating my dinner just in case... when I have all
    the seasons in a multi-disc changer and I can hit "Random", then maybe I'll
    stop tuning in.

    Wade365, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Angry Gamer

    E Brown Guest

    In my case, the broadcast makes me pull out my discs and watch the
    ep uncut. For every dvd release of a Friends season, I cut back on
    watching syndie eps.
    Emanuel

    E Brown, Nov 25, 2003
  10. Angry Gamer

    Wade365 Guest

    << I cut back on
    watching syndie eps. >>

    I once got a restraining order slapped on me for that...

    : )

    Wade365, Nov 25, 2003
  11. Angry Gamer

    jayembee Guest

    They *are* learning. But you have to realize that doing
    so requires going against everything they believe to be
    true. Warner Bros is a case in point. For the last 20 years,
    they staunchly believed that there was absolutely no market
    for TV series on home video, and would only begrudgingly
    admit that there might be a market for their classic
    animation. As a result, they had to be dragged, kicking
    and screaming, into that part of the market.

    And now they are changing their tune. In the former case,
    they've announced a more aggressive marketing of TV series
    on DVD. And in the latter case, they've noted that not
    only have the recent Looney Tunes collections sold well,
    the 4-disc Golden Collection has outsold the 2-disc Premiere
    Collection.

    So, they *are* learning.
    I very much doubt it. The real point, however, is DVD sales
    shouldn't affect syndication all that much simply because
    of the numbers. THE FAMILY GUY has been the biggest selling
    TV-on-DVD release, and it's around a million copies sold.
    Syndication viewing has to be much more than that.

    What it will affect is the perceived market value of a show
    in syndication. I'm sure that Fox got a noticibly smaller
    amount for syndication rights to ANGEL than they would have
    if the show hadn't been released on DVD. But this is more a
    problem with series that haven't hit syndication yet -- or
    only recently have -- more than series that have been in
    syndication for ages.
    My girlfriend and I will sometimes watch something in
    syndication that we have on DVD. Examples being STARGATE
    on Sci Fi or BUFFY on FX. But when we do this, the shows
    are on more as background noise than as something we're
    *watching*. If we put on the DVDs, it's because we're
    *watching* them.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Angry Gamer

    Wade365 Guest

    Take a look at the damned TV section at a video retailer like Best Buy... it's
    getting bigger than most of the other catagories (granted most are multi-disc
    sets and take up more space, buuuuut)...

    This is big money, like it or not.

    Wade365, Nov 26, 2003
  13. There is some overlap in people who watch shows in syndication versus people
    who buy DVD sets, but both markets can coexist peacefully. College students,
    for example, can't necessarily afford all those X-Files box sets, so they can
    watch them on TV. They might buy The Simpsons or Family Guy, but they probably
    aren't buying a lot of box sets.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
    revolving door.
    - Willy Walker

    Sydney Assbasket, Nov 28, 2003
  14. Angry Gamer

    Stan Brown Guest

    Separate markets, yes. But I still don't believe there's an
    "overlap" as you say.

    Nobody who has got a TV show episode on DVD is going to watch the
    abridged version, interrupted by commercials to boot.

    Stan Brown, Nov 29, 2003
  15. Angry Gamer

    Justin Guest

    Stan Brown wrote on [Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:54:49 -0500]:
    and you speak for everyone on the planet?

    I know I occasionally get caught by a syndicated TV show that I own on
    DVD, or even a movie on TV I own on DVD

    Justin, Nov 30, 2003
  16. Angry Gamer

    Wade365 Guest

    << I know I occasionally get caught by a syndicated TV show that I own on
    DVD, or even a movie on TV I own on DVD >>

    Testify... who wants to go through their collection and dig it out when it's
    right there infront of you?

    : )

    Wade365, Nov 30, 2003
  17. Angry Gamer

    Justin Guest

    Wade365 wrote on [30 Nov 2003 02:04:21 GMT]:
    there's also the times when you find a hidden gem of extra footage in
    the TV version, or feel like laughing at the censoring of some words.
    Yippie Kay A Mr Falcon!

    Justin, Nov 30, 2003
  18. Angry Gamer

    Stan Brown Guest

    No, only the logical people. I'm aware we are a small and
    ever-dwindling minority.

    Stan Brown, Nov 30, 2003
  19. Angry Gamer

    Wootikus Guest

    I wish the owners of the rights to shows like Seinfeld or The Simpsons
    I have a lot of TV shows on DVD and I don't watch them in syndications
    when they're on. The TV version is horrible. It's cut up, blocked
    with TV logos, and a lot of commercials. I get sick of watching the
    same shit over and over also.

    Wootikus, Nov 30, 2003
  20. Angry Gamer

    Stan Brown Guest