Will router connect to AP??

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by tnatsid, Aug 31, 2005.

  1. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    I have a home network consisting of a desktop with a wireless AP and laptops
    with cardbus wireless cards. The destkop connects to the internet by dialup.

    I've signed up for broadband but not for any hardware.

    I was thinking of getting a wireless router (- such as Ebuyer 108Mbps 4 Port
    Wireless ADSL Modem Router, 40 VPN Tunnels, UPNP with USB print server

    How should I connect the router to the desktop?? I presume I could use an
    ethernet cable??? but for a wireless connection, do I need a PCI wireless
    card or would it be simple enough to use the existing Access Point (Netgear
    tnatsid, Aug 31, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. tnatsid

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 31 Aug
    2005 09:13:14 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "tnatsid"
    If that AP has a "bridge" mode, then should work. AFAIK, it does.

    deKay, Aug 31, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. ADSL broadband or NTL cable ? (going by your email).

    You could get a wired ADSL modem/router and mate it to your existing
    wireless kit, using an ethernet cable for the desktop.

    Phil Thompson, Aug 31, 2005
  4. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    The word "bridge" does not appear in the PDF install guide and I can find no
    mention of it in the settings page for it, so perhaps it doesn't?
    tnatsid, Aug 31, 2005
  5. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    ADSL - local exchange is to be enabled soon.

    Two points here - computer only has one ethernet socket - presently occupied
    by the cable to the AP. If I chose this option, would I need some sort of Y
    connector or perhaps a PCI LAN card to provide an extra socket?

    I'd rather not be restricted to having my desktop near the phone socket, so
    would prefer a wireless router.
    tnatsid, Aug 31, 2005
  6. if you get a wired ADSL modem/router with 4 ports (most of them have
    4) you can plug the access point and the desktop computer in and have
    two left over.
    please disconnect in your head the words wireless and router. You
    already own a wireless access point which can happily be connected to
    a wired ADSL modem/router to give you wireless access to your PCs.

    Phil Thompson, Aug 31, 2005
  7. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    Is this a roundabout way of telling me I can connect only the access
    point to a wired router, whilst having my desktop in another room -
    presumably with a wireless PCI card?? Thanks, I didn't realise that
    would work. (Please let me know if I've misunderstood.)
    tnatsid, Aug 31, 2005
  8. tnatsid

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Yes, you could do that.
    Or USB, if you wish.

    However, I would strongly recommend wiring the desktop PC to the router
    unless you have a good reason not to.

    Alex Fraser, Aug 31, 2005
  9. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    OK, I could try that, but whats the problem with a wireless router??
    tnatsid, Aug 31, 2005
  10. tnatsid

    Rob Morley Guest

    No problem as such, although a separate access point gives you more
    flexibility in setting up the optimum layout for your network - you put
    the router where it's best for cabling, then you put the AP where it's
    best for signal strength. You want to have at least one machine
    connected by cable so you can sort out the router and AP configuration.
    Rob Morley, Sep 1, 2005
  11. tnatsid

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Nothing as such - it's just that the advantages of wireless networking (over
    wired) stem simply from the lack of wires, but OTOH wireless is more
    expensive, slower, and potentially less reliable. There is no point to it
    except when wired is restrictive (eg for a laptop that is moved around) or
    prohibitive (ie it is awkward to put cable in).

    Alex Fraser, Sep 1, 2005
  12. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    I've found my current network fantastic. The speed (up to 54) seems very
    fast and the option of going online anywhere in the vicinity without wiring
    up is lovely. It has also been very reliable.
    tnatsid, Sep 1, 2005
  13. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    Could this be sorted out by temporarily connecting up a laptop?? It would be
    nice to have the AP and the router more out of the way (and would be a help
    in extending the network)
    tnatsid, Sep 1, 2005
  14. tnatsid

    Rob Morley Guest

    Yes, but if it's the same laptop that you are troubleshooting the
    wireless connection on then it will cause untold confusion :)
    Rob Morley, Sep 1, 2005
  15. tnatsid

    Alex Fraser Guest

    You already have an Ethernet card in the desktop PC, so using that saves you
    buying a wireless card. You are far, far more likely to have problems with a
    new wireless card than your existing Ethernet card. As Rob Morley mentioned,
    it is desirable to have at least one machine connected to the router by
    cable. Hence my recommendation that you wire the desktop PC unless you have
    a good reason not to.

    Alex Fraser, Sep 1, 2005
  16. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    mobo has an ethernet connector.
    My two cardbus cards in the laptops have been problem free. Why should a PCI
    card be different??

    I have a few reasons not to. Look out for me posting back here to get myself
    out of trouble if I ignore the advice!
    tnatsid, Sep 1, 2005
  17. you can do that. You may occasionally need to connect with a wire eg
    for a firmware upgrade or if you mess up, but an access point will
    happily work on a modem/router - it's what they are for.

    USB is another option for the wireless NIC.

    Phil Thompson, Sep 1, 2005
  18. tnatsid

    Alex Fraser Guest

    OK; my point still stands.
    It will probably work fine, whereas the wired interface is virtually
    guaranteed to.
    Then that's fair enough.
    OK, and I promise not to say "I told you so" if you do have trouble :).
    Seriously, I hope everything goes well.

    Alex Fraser, Sep 1, 2005
  19. tnatsid

    tnatsid Guest

    OK thanks for the confirmation.

    I find USB gives trouble now and then, but I've never had trouble with a PCI
    connection, so that would be my choice.
    tnatsid, Sep 1, 2005
  20. tnatsid

    Rob Morley Guest

    You can stick a USB NIC on a cable to move it around for better
    Rob Morley, Sep 1, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.