    into a linksys non wireless router and have connectivity ?

    Thank you

    JH

    Jack, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Jack

    Tony Guest

    "Jack" <jhack@nota address.us> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Will plugging a Access point into a non wireless router let workgroup
    > computers communicate?
    > I have four pc's with wirless nics, can I plug a belkin woreless AP
    > into a linksys non wireless router and have connectivity ?

    Yes, just make sure the IP address of the AP is the same as the rest of the
    network. If you haven't already bougt the AP, personally I wouldn't get a
    Belkin one. You will have the possibility of conflicts between the
    different makes and I personally seem to have big problems trying to support
    people that have bought Belkin wireless gear. If it works then its fine, if
    it don't then its a pain.

    Tony, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Jack

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:26:14 GMT, Jack <jhack@nota address.us> wrote:

    >Will plugging a Access point into a non wireless router let workgroup
    >computers communicate?
    >I have four pc's with wirless nics, can I plug a belkin woreless AP

    I would usually go for a Linksys AP if your other kit is Linksys, but
    you didn't way what brand the NICs are. It should be okay intermixing
    stuff. I just went all Belkin to perhaps make things easier in case
    there were cross brand issues.

    >into a linksys non wireless router and have connectivity ?

    Yes.

    The AP, just becomes another device on the wired network, it will pick
    up a dynamic address as the PCs from the non wireless router.

    You should read up on wireless security and configure the AP and
    wireless PCs.

    This link has
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm
    been reposted by several people a few times in 24HSHD the last few
    months.

    Try searching
    in anycase if you have some questions and www.google.com

    Me