    "Boardwalk Empire" (taped). One scene had Harding's acceptance speech
    after winning the election in 1920 on the radio. The bit played
    contained the line where he used "normalacy".

    tony cooper, Dec 7, 2010

  2. RichA

    peter Guest

    Because it is a big pickled low?

    peter, Dec 7, 2010

  3. RichA

    peter Guest

    How did that posting get attributed to me?

    peter, Dec 7, 2010
  4. As you say, the antecedents.... do you ever reach for your three wood
    that's made of all metal, or a seven iron that contains no iron?
    I guess this last one whooshed past me.... but at least I trimmed......

    --
    john mcwilliams

    Before you criticize others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That
    way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
    shoes....

    John McWilliams, Dec 7, 2010
  5. No Blu-ray?? Or are you holding out for 3D?

    --
    John McWilliams

    This space intentionally left blank, except for these words.

    John McWilliams, Dec 7, 2010
  6. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Read "big pickled low" again. Quickly.

    tony cooper, Dec 7, 2010
  7. Ooooomph... but thanks, tony, finally got it.

    "I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw."

    John McWilliams, Dec 7, 2010
  8. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    My wife and I find it both entertaining and fascinating. I'm one of
    those weirdos who are prompted by some television shows to look up
    events and characters mentioned in passing and find out more about
    them.

    A few episodes ago, Harding was portrayed. Before that, I knew very
    little about Harding: From Ohio, died in office, Teapot Dome. That
    was it. I ended up reading about Harding, Nan Britton (one of his
    mistresses), and the period. One fact was astounding: he died of
    unknown causes but it was alleged that it was from food poisoning or
    the treatment he received, but no autopsy was performed. His wife
    died a few months later while under the care of the doctor (a
    homeopathic physician) who treated Harding when Harding was dying.

    Can you imagine that today?

    tony cooper, Dec 7, 2010
  9. RichA

    peter Guest

    I know. Just tweaking the tweaker.

    peter, Dec 7, 2010
  10. RichA

    peter Guest

    I could stand to lose some weight, myself

    peter, Dec 7, 2010
  11. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Those are for >paying< customers, fool.
    My newsreader is fine. >You're< broken...fix yourself.
    Nein -- where one of my articles posts, no power on Earth can remove
    it!
    Actually, though, English absorbs lots of foreign words, because
    English-speaking countries generally attract so many immigrants
    (Ireland has traditonally been a notable excpeption).

    Germany, on the other hand? People have often wanted to get the
    hell, >out< of there!

    John Turco, Jan 12, 2011
  12. Well, you bloody well ought to pay me, then.

    Your newsreader doesn't do utf-8. It mangles it. It is
    broken. Fix it. Personally, since you insist.
    Your articles don't post. Though they may well be more
    sentinent that you, Eliza.
    robs. steals. absconds with. runs off with. Not
    "absorbs" --- that's way too passive.
    Oh, sure. That's it. Turn a country to English and all will
    be well.

    On the contrary: the UK has foreign immigrants because they used
    to be a world power who occupied half the world and now have to
    deal with the rights they had to grant in the end.

    Note that Ireland speaks English since it was invaded by the
    Cambro-Normans. Not also that the third most common language
    in Ireland (after English and Irish) is Polish --- thanks to
    immigration.

    Note that both the US and Canada are settled only with
    immigrants, as the indigenous population was killed by knife,
    gun or infections brought by western settlers.
    Funny, our politicans finally broke down 5 years ago and
    changed the laws to align them more with the fact that we are an
    immigration country. Ever have been, since the 60's, since the
    Gastarbeiter came and many of them stayed ...

    Do yourself a favour and google a bit before proving you know
    nothing about Germany.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 12, 2011
  13. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Every rule has its exception(s).

    John Turco, Feb 28, 2011
  14. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Oh, that's >so< impressive! There are probably more modern speakers
    of Apache, than those of any Celtic language (Irish, Scottish and
    Welsh).
    How do we know whether this "indigenous population" displaced
    other North American natives, many centuries (or millennia)
    before?
    Mostly for Turkish emigrants, alas.
    Very clever, coming up with that "guest worker" idea...why didn't
    Herr Schicklegrubber think of it, when he was scouring Europe for
    slave labor, a couple of decades earlier?

    Consequently, there are lots more Turks in Germany, now, than in
    the 1960's. They're not exactly a "beloved" minority group, either.
    My knowledge predates both Google and Wikipedia, alike; but, those
    are useful resources, if interpreted wisely.

    John Turco, Feb 28, 2011