  1. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Once a wise guy, always...

    John Turco, Sep 6, 2010

  2. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    That's all Greek, to me! How about a translation, please?

    John Turco, Sep 6, 2010

  3. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Fbzr guvatf ner abg ernyyl jbegu ercrngvat.:)

    Peter, Sep 6, 2010
  4. You asked me not to be a white(!) guy.
    And since you have problems with wisdom, ask your therapist
    why you always try to beat the carriers of wisdom.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 8, 2010
  5. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Huh?

    John Turco, Sep 25, 2010
  6. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Don't try to "Weissel" out of it, Wolfgang.
    Oh, so, you're >still< raving about a "glorious" Germanic victory,
    over the Romans -- although, it occurred some 2,000 years ago?

    You're a real die-hard barbarian, Mein Kaiser!

    John Turco, Sep 25, 2010
  7. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Now, what is >that<...Japanese?

    John Turco, Sep 25, 2010
  8. Yes. Here, here! Are you a friend?

    Tzortzakakis Dimitris, Sep 25, 2010
  9. That's a pun with Schwarzenegger, your famous governor, with "black negroe"
    Then, he says in greek"his heart(soul) could be black"
    Then I ask"where did you learn greek"?

    Tzortzakakis Dimitris, Sep 25, 2010
  10. Sorry, your understanding of the language is rudimentary.
    Does it come naturally to you or must you work on being obnoxious?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 25, 2010
  11. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Okay...I give up, now!

    John Turco, Oct 31, 2010
  12. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Actually, my "understanding" of German is practically nil. My little
    puns concern words that seem similar to English ones (e.g., "Weissel"
    and "weasel").

    According to my paperback version of "The American Heritage Dictionary
    Of The English Language" (first printing, 1970), "weasel" is derived
    from Old English's "weosule" and "wesle" -- and, as you're probably
    well aware, Old English is also known as Anglo-Saxon. (The Angles and
    Saxons were Germanic tribes.)

    Hence, do you think that "Weissel" and "weasel" are related, however
    distantly? (There's another pun, for you.)
    Oh, c'mon, man! I'm an occasional joker...just as you, yourself, are.
    Please, don't imply that I resort to "blitzkrieg" tactics.

    John Turco, Oct 31, 2010
  13. Creatively misunderstanding your puns is fun.
    Weissel (alternative spellings 'weisel', 'weißel') probably
    derives from from weißeln (whitening). Indogermanic dictionary (
    http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/indogermanischeswoerterbuch/ne-idg.pdf
    ) says the roots for weasel and wite are not related at all.

    See also
    http://indo-european.info/dictionary-translator/translate/English/Indo-European/?q=weasel
    and
    http://indo-european.info/dictionary-translator/translate/English/Indo-European/?q=white
    for a smaller, faster answer.

    So, no, do your homework next time.

    More like "kindergarden" tactics, if you want to stay with
    loan words.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Oct 31, 2010
  14. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Glad to provide you with such cheap thrills.
    Ya done real good, kid.
    I wonder...do "loan words" ever need to be returned?

    John Turco, Nov 28, 2010
  15. Well, you don't provide more expensive or classy thrills.

    Your newsreader is broken. Fix it.
    Time for you to permanenty retire, old fogey.

    "English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
    languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets
    for loose grammar."

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 4, 2010
  16. That's a fine old saw. On a serious note, I wonder if now most new words
    and usages now come directly from the streets in the US and other
    English speaking countries.... ?

    On another note:

    HL Mencken said:

    "He [Warren G. Harding] writes the worst English that I have ever
    encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of
    tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of
    college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is
    so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of
    the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of
    posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and
    dash."

    John McWilliams, Dec 5, 2010
  17. Well, you ARE a fun guy!
    :)

    Remember "Canned goods" or "Iced Tea"? Gone by the wayside, at least as
    far as supermarkets are concerned. It's now "Can goods" and "Ice
    Tea"......although in speach I say it as "ice tea".

    John McWilliams, Dec 6, 2010
  18. Also in "speech".......

    John McWilliams, Dec 6, 2010
  19. RichA

    peter Guest

    Why are you calling him a a mushroom. (currently pronounced "shroom.")

    peter, Dec 7, 2010
  20. RichA

    peter Guest

    Is a violin a stringed instrument, or a string instrument. ;-)

    peter, Dec 7, 2010