    1700mah batteries. Now I'm up to 2500mah batteries.

    Is this charger sufficient for these higher rated batteries?

    jm

    JM, Mar 13, 2006

  2. JM

    John Fryatt Guest

    If the cells are the same voltage I think the charger will work, but
    charging will take longer with the higher capacity cells.

    John Fryatt, Mar 13, 2006

  3. JM

    John Bean Guest

    It's an intelligent charger so it should be fine.

    John Bean, Mar 13, 2006
  4. JM

    george Guest

    Provided the voltage is the same, yes. As the battery capacity gets higher,
    your charger will take a little longer, that's all. FWIW, it'll also be a
    bit easier on the batteries (fast charging generates heat and is rough on
    the batteries).

    george, Mar 13, 2006
  5. JM

    SMS Guest

    It may not be. It depends on the charger algorithm. Some of the older,
    slower rate chargers, will time-out before a high capacity battery is
    fully charged (in which case you can simply remove and replace the
    batteries).

    I've seen other chargers warn of issues with trickle charging, though I
    don't understand what the issues is, i.e. see
    "http://www.greenbatteries.com/tu40smbach.html" where they warn of
    issues with batteries that are >2300 mAH with a cryptic statement, "This
    charger has safety features that may affect batteries, particularly
    those with more than 2300 mAh capacity and are brand new. The timer and
    temperature sensors can interact under various circumstances and the
    main result is that the trickle charge will not initiate in a way that
    seems consistent."

    I also have one of those old Maha chargers, but I haven't tried it with
    the newer batteries.

    The problem with NiMH is that you have no indication of how charged the
    battery actually is, since the voltage is constant. There are some
    battery testers that give a general idea, but it's very rough.

    If you don't mind charging in pairs, you can buy the Sanyo NC-MQH01U
    charger at Costco, with eight batteries (6 AA 2500 mAH and 2 AAA (I
    think around 780mAH) for about $20.

    SMS, Mar 13, 2006