Will have MCSA by Christmas....then what?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Guy, Aug 7, 2009.

  1. Guy

    Guy Guest

    Hey folks, I am currently working on 290 and have CompTIA's A+ and Net+ and
    270 under my belt already. I am confident that I will have my MCSA by X-mas
    but here is the problem:

    I want to start working ASAP in the industry BUT unfortunately, I have never
    worked in the IT industry before! See I started off as most of us by messing
    with computers at a young age and continuing as a hobby but then joined the
    military and they stuck me in Civil Engineering. Now I'm out and thought I'd
    1. test my knowledge in the PC Tech field 2. get some certifications while
    doing so. The CompTIA exams were cake and now I am in the meat of it (MS).

    My question: Where does one like myself with NO prior work experience in
    the IT field start off? A call center's help desk? Geek Squad?

    I have considered volunteering for a local library or something and do help
    desk work there and then work my way up to a job that entails more MCSA
    duties.

    Any ideas and suggestions would be Greatly appreciated.

    Guy, Aug 7, 2009

  2. Those are two viable choices..
    This is also an excellent idea, and I would encourage you to consider doing
    this immediately.

    Don't wait to get the cert to begin volunteering, or to start looking for a
    position. Many organizations may be willing to fill an entry-level position
    with an ex-military person who's committed to the cert and already halfway
    through. The MCP/Windows XP will be your most useful credential in getting a
    Help Desk job -- and working on the 70-290 Windows Server 2003 exam will be
    seen as a bonus for that level of position.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Aug 7, 2009

  3. Guy

    John R Guest

    First, let me say "Thank you" for your service.
    Also, that I applaud both your effort so far, and your self-motivation.

    Getting started in the field is difficult, for many various reasons. Hiring
    managers today are looking for things to set candidates apart, and certs
    certainly are one way to do that. However, in my humble experience, certs
    are only good if you have the experience to go with them. The cert by and
    of itself is not nearly as powerfull on a resume. Today, I think formal
    education is more important than certs to a large extent.

    Now, all that crap out of the way, instead of going straight for the MCSA,
    you might consider going for MCDST or MCITP:EST first if you are looking to
    enter via the helpdesk position, as that cert is more geared toward that
    position. If you've passed 70-270, you already know 90 percent of the
    70-271 test, and the 70-272 test is centered around Office 2003. There are
    plenty of good study materials available.

    Assuming you do go the MCSA route, which I agree with Lawrence will be seen
    as a bonus, you're going to want to setup a home lab to test and play with,
    and your own suggestions about volunteering for NPOs and such (or better
    yet, Intern for a For-Profit business) would be a great start. Once you can
    put that first IT job on your resume, more doors will open. I think my
    company has made full time offers to almost every Intern we've had. It only
    makes sense, they already know a good deal about your policies and
    procedures.

    With your attitude, I'm sure you won't have too many problems.

    John R.

    John R, Aug 7, 2009
  4. Guy

    Guy Guest

    Thanks folks for the pointers!

    Guy, Aug 20, 2009
  5. Guy

    Guy Guest

    Thanks everyone for the great info! Turns out that I've been getting
    contract work for bank conversions lately and I love them. I am sure they
    will look nice on my resume as well.

    Guy, Oct 6, 2009