    Gurus,

    I recently ordered a 64bit Windows OS laptop from Dell. My question is,
    will ECC memory work in system which is supposed to take non-ECC?

    Spin, Mar 26, 2008

  2. Check with the mobo manufacturer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Spin

    Theo Guest

    You'll have to talk to the manufacturer of the mb. That's
    strictly a hardware problem, not an operating system problem.

    Theo, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Spin

    andy Guest

    Yes. The memory parity bits would not be connected to anything, so
    it's as if they don't exist.

    andy, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Spin

    Stefan Pendl Guest

    This heavily depends on the BIOS, some do permit it others not.
    I have had some machines, where I was not able to use ECC RAM only
    non-ECC.

    Stefan Pendl, Mar 27, 2008