    Cheers,

    Peter.

    [1] except switching to Vonage!

    Peter X, Sep 14, 2005

  2. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Don't take any notice of the trolls, Sipgate is perfectly ok for the
    average user.
    It depends entirely on the bandwidth you have available and what else
    you're using the connection with at the same time. If it's idle except for
    the phone call, it will be fine. If you're doing a heavy downloading
    session, or if you have two or three other PC users on all at the same
    time, then yes it could affect the quality of the phone call, but for the
    most part it will be ok, assuming you have at least a 256k uplink speed,
    which most ADSL (rather than cable) connections have.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Peter X

    Dexter Guest

    We had three simultaneous downloads taking place at the same time and
    a call I made with Vonage was perfect earlier tonight I can't even do
    that with Voipfone never mind rubbishy Sipgate .

    Dexter, Sep 14, 2005
  4. Peter X

    Alex Guest

    You plonker the only way in which vonage would work whilst downloading when
    others didn't is if they used super vonage only codecs that were really high
    compression which could squeeze into the remaining bandwidth.
    Most providers use all the same codecs. Comparing quality when on an idle
    line is an issue, as then the quality is only down to the supplier. But
    saying when your end is throttled that one supplier works over another is a
    pile of garbage as they use the same protocols, one would not work when the
    other didn't.
    Get a grip, job and a life.

    Alex

    Alex, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Peter X

    Dexter Guest

    Why do you think I moved and intend staying with Vonage they must use
    has you say "super vonage only codecs"I wouldn't know i only know the
    audo is perfect at all times no mater what else is happening on our
    2Mb connection.
    I finished with jobs four years ago and I do have a life thank you
    very much now piss off .

    Dexter, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Peter X

    themgt Guest

    That's because you're using the router that Vonage supplied which is
    prioritising VoIP traffic. Presumambly you lacked the clue to do this
    yourself when using other providers. I have a pitiable 128kb upstream
    which is constantly saturated by bittorrent yet I've no problem with
    VoIP calls because I've prioritised VoIP traffic. This has nothing to do
    with anythin my VoIP provider might be doing at their end.
    Perhaps your germanophobia is getting the better of you ?

    themgt, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Peter X

    Dusty Guest

    Maybe you should go back to school in that case as your education is
    sadly lacking.

    Dusty, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Thanks for all the replies!

    Just one further questionette; I was thinking of buying the TA612V from
    Amazon. When I look on the Netgear support site, the support/download
    page for the TA612V is very well hidden, and when you find it[1], it
    says you need to download firmware updates only from the vendor.

    But back in the real world, am I safe buying from Amazon (or whoever)
    and knowing that the product will work with any SIP based VoIP provider?

    [1] http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/TA612V.asp
    I only managed to find this page by going to the support page of another
    product, and then modifying the product code in the URL!

    Peter X, Sep 14, 2005
  9. Peter X

    Dexter Guest

    Wrong our router was supplied by Staples and Vonage is not prioritized
    it is just that Vonage is better than the average voip provider in
    every way that is why they are more expensive than many others .

    Dexter, Sep 14, 2005
  10. If you are not using a router that has QoS (Including the Vonage one)
    then there are very few ways that Vonage can affect the quality of your
    calls, and the main method is with the choice of codec. The choice to
    use a more compressed codec was available with sipgate too, but I doubt
    vonage is compressing the call much anyway.

    It is possible that internet congestion between you and vonage is less
    than that between you and sipgate, but unlikely.

    Steve.

    Steven Sumpter, Sep 14, 2005
  11. Peter X

    Dexter Guest

    Or of course that we have an exceptionally good ISP our download
    speeds are constantly over the 2Mb which is what we should be gettting
    which ever speed checker we use .

    Dexter, Sep 14, 2005
  12. Peter X

    themgt Guest

    Yes, but it came ready configured for Vonage didn't it.
    **Repeat with me:

    This is my strawman.
    There are many like it, but this one is MINE.
    My strawman is my best friend. It is my life.
    I must master it as I must master my life.
    My strawman without me is useless. Without my strawman, I am useless.
    I must post my strawman promptly.
    I must strawman more than my enemy who is trying to educate me.
    I must obfuscate before he reasons with me. I will...
    My strawman and myself know that what counts in usenet is not the posts
    we fire off, the headers of our posts, nor the signatures of our posts.
    We know it is the projected position of others that counts. We will
    project...
    My strawman is human, even as I, because it is my life.
    Thus, I will learn it as a brother.
    I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories,
    its sights, and its powers of dissembling.
    I will ever guard it against the ravages of reason and accuracy.
    I will keep my strawman fusty and mouldering, even as I am fusty and
    mouldering.
    We will become part of each other. We will...
    Before Godwin I swear this creed.
    My strawman and myself are the defenders of my ego.
    We are the masters of our newsgroup.
    We are the saviors of my thread.
    So be it, until there are no replies, and I've been pwnded.

    **Shamelessly ripped from ed.general

    themgt, Sep 14, 2005
  13. Peter X

    John Smith Guest

    NO ! - this device only works with Sipgate - there is a tie in - I dont know
    if firmware in the future will unlock it .

    John Smith, Sep 15, 2005
  14. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [Top posting corrected]
    This is true of devices purchased from them, or from some retailers, it
    may be possible to buy an unlocked version..? I believe that an unlock is
    possible, but I don't know of anyone who has done it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 15, 2005
  15. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    I can't any absolutely irrefutable evidence that the box is completely
    open, _but_ many retailers[1] including Amazon (admittedly, Amazon have
    virtually no information at all!), make no mention of Sipgate. The spec
    sheet on the box itself says it is compliant with a bunch of protocols
    including SIP v2[2].... so I'm sure with all those standards to choose
    from one must work?!

    I may take a chance on this I think. If Amazon don't say it's locked to
    Sipgate, then surely I'd be able to return it if it transpired that it was?

    [1] http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=ta612v&btnG=Search+Froogle
    [2] http://www.netgear.co.uk/pdfs/TA612V_DS.pdf

    Peter X, Sep 15, 2005
  16. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    I've just read a review of the TA612V here (google cache):
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...12v-broadband-voice-adapter.html+ta612v&hl=en

    or aternatively:
    http://tinyurl.com/8d9og

    The review verdict states:
    "The TA612V should fit seamlessly into an existing broadband setup if
    your router doesn't have built-in ADSL."

    and further down it says:
    "The best thing about the TA612V is that it's designed to sit between
    your broadband modem and existing router, unlike most other VoIP
    products we've looked at so far. So if you already have a fully featured
    wireless broadband router, you can still use it and enjoy all the
    benefits of cheap telephony over the Internet, as long as your router
    doesn't also house your ADSL modem."

    ....which kind of gives me the impression that it won't work with my DG834G!

    Can anyone confirm this. I suspect that from what I've read previously,
    that the two boxes will work together after I've faffed around with the
    config. Presumably I disable all user/password authentication on the
    TA612V and plug its WAN port into a LAN port on the DG834, and then
    place the TA612V in the DMZ on the DG834?

    * its all sooo complicated!! :D *

    Peter X, Sep 15, 2005
  17. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Okay... further investigation has turned up this review:

    http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=21&page=3945

    which explicitly states that the box is locked to Sipgate. Bummer!

    Has anyone any suggestions as to what cheapish alternatives there are? I
    know the Vigor's seem very feature complete, but I think they're beyond
    my budget at the moment.

    Peter X, Sep 15, 2005
  18. Peter X

    John Smith Guest

    thats exactly what you do - I've got one running behind a DG with DMZ open
    to it.
    I also ended up purchasing a Sipura 2100 for greater flexibility/messing
    around

    John Smith, Sep 15, 2005
  19. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    I'm going around in circles here! ebuyer.com have two product pages; 1
    for (what looks like) a generic product and 1 for a sipgate product:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91743

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=95427

    Peter X, Sep 15, 2005
  20. They do work well together. You just need to forward the relevant ports.
    Remember that the TA612V has an ethernet port on it so if most of your
    non-voip traffic comes from one PC then you can run that PC from the TA612V
    rather than direct from one of the 834's ports. Doing this ensures that voip
    traffic is prioritised over that PC's traffic and lets you access both the
    612 and the 834's setup pages.

    S.

    Stephen Peterson, Sep 15, 2005