Wiki's BluRay entry

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Found myself researching HD and ended up reading wikipedia's BluRay
    entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_disc), whch was quite
    interesting and contained some items that i wasn't (quite) aware of.

    Granted (Allan), that since there's product there's certainly room for
    change from the "facts" of now, but this is all still quite interesting
    and food fro thought.

    ==

    the introduction of a clear polymer that gives Blu-ray discs
    unprecedented scratch resistance. The coating, developed by TDK
    Corporation under the name "Durabis," allows BDs to be cleaned safely
    with only a tissue-a procedure that can damage CDs, DVDs, and
    (presumably) HD DVDs, which are manufactured by the same process as
    these older optical media. Bare BDs with the coating are reportedly
    able to withstand attack by a screwdriver

    - I don't believe the screwdriver part. And i'm still wary of the
    notion of "scratch resistant" as it's in Sony's interest for the discs
    to be somewhat delicate. Still, it's an interesting statement if true.

    ==

    The BD-ROM format specifies at least three video codecs: MPEG-2, the
    standard used for DVDs; MPEG-4's H.264/AVC codec; and VC-1, a codec
    based on Microsoft's Windows Media 9. The first of these only allows
    for about two hours of high-definition content on a single-layer
    BD-ROM, but the addition of the two more advanced codecs allows up to
    four hours per layer.

    - This is interesting to me. THere's an inherent TIME limitation
    independent of video disc size? It's not quite clear why this should
    be true and I'm concerned about it. a 4hr/25GB layer seems
    questionable. No, i'm not wanting to see any 4+ hr long movies crammed
    onto one layer, but I AM thinking about SD tv shows that would
    inevitably be put on BR. currently you canput (say) 2 1/2 hrs on a
    DVD9, sometimes more. So on nearly 3x the capacity, being restricted
    to 4hrs isn't quite convenient.

    ==

    At the 2005 JavaOne trade show, it was announced that Sun Microsystems'
    Java cross-platform software environment would be included in all
    Blu-ray players as a mandatory part of the standard. Java will be used
    to implement interactive menus on Blu-ray discs, as opposed to the
    method used on DVD video discs, which uses pre-rendered MPEG segments
    and selectable subtitle pictures and is considerably more primitive.
    Java creator James Gosling, at the conference, suggested that the
    inclusion of a Java virtual machine as well as network connectivity in
    BD devices will allow updates to Blu-ray discs via the Internet, adding
    content such as additional subtitle languages and promotional features
    that are not included on the disc at pressing time. This Java Version
    will be called BD-J and will be a subset of the GEM (Globally
    Executable MHP) standard. GEM is the world-wide version of the
    Multimedia Home Platform standard.

    - Maybe this is where all the talk about the updates via permanent
    internet connection is coming from. not from Sony proper but from
    ancillary (but associated) persons like James Gosling. On the one
    hand, I really like the idea of having something like Java to render
    the menus (just not FLASH for God's sake! :) ) and in pariticular,
    hopefully, to have a true (unicode) text stream for subtitles (with
    scalable fonts) instead of the poor looking current image streams.
    I'd also be somewhat worried about exploits and virii for my BR player,
    esp. if required to be connected to the internet.

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 8, 2005

  2. Goro

    Allan Guest

    I remember claims back in the day that you could drill through a CD
    and it would still play..... Didn't seem to work for me... :eek:)

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Goro

    Allan Guest

    http://www.digital-digest.com/highdefdvd/faq.html

    "Now, there have been a lot of discussion about AACS requiring an
    Internet connection to update keys and so forth, as well as checking
    for content authorisation (pay per play, etc...), but this is not
    really true of standalone hardware players, at least not right now
    (although by launch time, this may change, but it's hard to imagine
    Internet connections being required by default, as this would wipe out
    a huge segment of the consumer base). Only software based players will
    require this key update, as it isn't really practical to implement an
    "Internet connection" requirement for hardware. An Internet connection
    might be useful if say a hardware player's keys have all been leaked
    and revoked, so a new set can be issued to the player through an
    Internet update. Although allowing updates through the Internet opens
    up a whole other set of issues, like security. Besides, this kind of
    copy protection can be implemented without an Internet connection, as
    in the case of SPDC "

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Goro

    Goro Guest

    -----
    Besides, this kind of
    ------
    Is this in the form of having flash-like updates built into later
    BR-discs? something like how the Sony XCP functioned except for
    standalone players (and thus, possibly, more secure).

    I'm not sure that i'm comfortable having my standalone player being
    modded WITHOUT MY EXPLICIT PERMISSION in any form. And with QC the way
    it is, I don't trust any company to do so in a bulletproof manner.

    I'll still reserve judgement until i see the actual product in use, but
    even then I've already decided to NOT be an early adopter in this
    round.

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 9, 2005