    links to linked links. I did come across an old nemesis, HyperCard.

    I also found a link to a sandbox.
    That is *NOT* what I'm looking for.

    Richard Owlett, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Richard Owlett

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:11:57 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

    Hmmmm a old style flat format set of notes for creating a Wiki which
    uses hyperlinks.
    File | Save Page As | pagename.txt , and read at your own pace.

    Find a DOC version and then Save As....
    Then only pick the relevant links, ignore them until you have the basics
    and need to go further.
    You mean it's a text intro/tutorial as you mentioned above?

    Me

    why?, Jan 5, 2007

  3. GEE whiz
    *IF* I could do it myself, wouldn't I have done so ;<
    DOC, whither arst thou DOC
    [sorta apology to the *BARD*]
    Just WHAT is relevant, that is "the question?"
    [once again apologizing to *THE _BARD_* ;>

    Where for art thou oh intro?
    [YEPP bard rolleth in grave]

    More seriously ;)

    Hypertext linked info is fine,
    *IF*
    you have a foundation.

    Are any TEACHERS reading this thread? ?? ??? ????

    Richard Owlett, Jan 7, 2007
  4. More seriously, what exactly are you trying to do?

    "Is there a *TEXT* based (rather than *hyper link*) intro/tutorial on
    creating and editing pages?"

    Write web pages to publish on the WWW?
    http://htmldog.com/
    If you can't follow the links in this tutorial, you probably won't be
    able to construct a working web site.

    Any text editor will suffice.
    Who knows? This is an international newsgroup available to anyone with
    the smarts from anywhere on the planet.

    25 demerits for excessive use of the question mark.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 7, 2007
  5. NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!

    I want WIKI info
    NOT web page info

    There is an existing WIKI site to which I would like to contribute

    HOW?

    Some pages need to be edited.
    Some need to be created.

    Richard Owlett, Jan 7, 2007
  6. Richard Owlett

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jan 7, 2007
  7. Richard Owlett, Jan 7, 2007
  8. Richard Owlett

    why? Guest

    1 of the first few hits from a Google search, listed a DOC file of Wiki
    instructions.

    I don't know you are looking for notes you can understand, not notes I
    could understand.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 8, 2007
  9. Richard Owlett

    why? Guest

    Why didn't you say so earlier. That's easy you read the notes on the
    site if they aren't good enough you Wiki a new entry about an intro to
    newbies and contributing. Generic stuff may not apply to the site.

    Or you Wiki a new entry about the most basic instructions needed to get
    started.

    At least you didn't mention the site :)

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 8, 2007
  10. Do you realize your reply makes *NO* sense to someone who has never
    worked on a WIKI.

    This is not a slam [or whatever term you would use].
    As an engineering co-op student in the midst of the last century I wrote
    a test procedure for an oscilloscope.

    One step required centering a dot on the screen.
    My *FIRST* attempt said,
    "Rotate magnet assembly on neck of CRT to center dot."
    < Old time TV techs reading this are now falling out of their chairs
    laughing 'cause they see the punch line coming ;>

    Our SOP required all test procedures be checked by a tech unrelated to
    the specific project. My procedure was given to a tech that was as least
    as experienced as I. He failed my procedure saying "the dot moves in an
    ellipse but *CAN NOT* be centered."

    We were both "right".

    "How?" you ask. On our ways to bigger and better, I had been a TV
    service tech of late B&W and early color eras. He had not. In "my
    universe" *EVERYONE* new centering required moving ears of magnet
    independently.

    I'll bet you are decades younger than I.
    PS my early programs used Hollerith cards or paper tape for I/O.

    Richard Owlett, Jan 8, 2007
  11. See reply I just posted.

    My email is valid, if heavily filtered.
    Respond personally if you wish.

    Richard Owlett, Jan 8, 2007
  12. Richard Owlett

    why? Guest

    That's nearly the whole point, it has to be fairly easy to post a
    question into the Wiki.

    Rethink your problem / question then. If what you have found isn't good
    enough, what's the point of asking for what may be repeats of the same
    links.

    After all www.google.com for
    Results 1 - 10 of about 844,000 English pages for
    beginners guide to wiki
    .. (0.13 seconds)

    Turns up to much to read, not knowing the system / software which may
    help cut down the results should help.

    There has to be some support in place for the site you want to
    contribute too.

    It's not as though you want to install an OS, install PHP, the Wiki
    software, setup all the security and generally maintain it. Editing
    can't be that difficult.
    I chucked out my last lot of punched paper tapes for an HP 1000
    mainframe (the ones with hardisk drives the size of washing machines)
    only last week.
    The 1st lot I remember using was DEC teletype terminals pre 1975 paper
    tape and a roll of paper fo input / output. as for the cards, missed
    those at university, 2 or 3 years too late for them, although the
    machines were still around. The system was still batch processing so
    those who could type code the fastest with less errors always got in
    first, which was a good thing the others always moaned about waiting..

    So what's the site then?

    Me

    why?, Jan 8, 2007
  13. Richard Owlett

    Pennywise Guest

    The Yoke being...

    Pennywise, Jan 9, 2007
  14. I have some problems at work to attend to.
    Will respond later.
    Thanks for your patience.

    Richard Owlett, Jan 9, 2007