WiFi Interference: Is 802.11a and better than b/g ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Al Dykes, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    Is there any reaason why 802.11a should be any more immune to
    interference than 802.11b/g is ?

    Do 5Ghz cordless phones share spectrum with 802.11a ?

    I've got a user in a 100 year-old building in Manhattan (plaster walls
    and 16 ft ceilings) who wants me to put in a 20 desk network.
    Installing copper in this office would be a huge job.

    The office is a couple thousand sq ft, divided with sheetrock walls,
    which are OK for WiFi signal strength. A test of 802.11b WiFi finds 8
    other networks (!), some of them with strong signals. Did I say all
    the offices have large windows overlooking other nearby office
    buildings ?

    This guy depends on his computer network to meet hard business
    deadlines and I won't put in a b/g WiFi network and have it screw up
    on him. An "a" network would at least be oblivious to the b/g networks
    in the area.

    Comments ?

    Al Dykes, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Al Dykes

    Airhead Guest

    Yes, because there are less "a" networks to interfere. BG has to
    compete with other wireless lans, microwave ovens, baby monitors and
    2.4 phones.
    For co-location there are also 8 non-overlapping channels available
    instead of 3.
    Note: any narrowband or all-band interference could affect either one
    if in their frequency.
    No, 802.11a uses the UNII lower and middle band indoors (5.15 to
    5.25ghz and 5.25 to 5.35ghz). (reserved for wireless lans)
    5 ghz phones use the ISM band of 5.725 to 5.875 or somewhere in that
    area.

    I agree, sounds like the best solution for the circumstances

    Airhead, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Al Dykes

    RusH Guest

    a has DFS in specs, thats the only reason besides frequency
    go for a,but dont forget to VPN every single bit on his network

    Pozdrawiam.

    RusH, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Al Dykes

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Just keep in mind that "A" also deteriorates considerably with distance.

    Something to keep in mind when you're planning it out. I like my 1200
    with 802.11A module.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Al Dykes

    Simon Leinen Guest

    And the band usable for 802.11a provides more channels, thus more
    non-overlapping channels.

    Simon Leinen, Dec 4, 2004