    directly to Client B. I don't have either client set up for ad hoc. Does
    anyone know if this is the way 802.11b is supposed to work?

    Thank you.

    MartinX, Jul 24, 2006

  2. MartinX

    Lem Guest

    Your initial assumption is the correct one: in an infrastructure
    network, all communication goes through the router. It sounds as if you
    are connecting to someone else's wireless network when you are upstairs.

    Try this -- with laptop upstairs and connected to the Internet, go to
    basement and using desktop, access your router's configuration utility.
    Check the list of DHCP clients (assuming you have not set static IPs
    for your computers) to see if, in fact, your laptop is listed as being
    connected.

    Lem, Jul 24, 2006