    information regarding the connection which BTW is public and has a name
    of AI-GSP.

    Don Jacobs

    Donald Jacobs, Jun 24, 2006

  2. Donald Jacobs

    Malke Guest

    Are these wireless connections that you are actually paying for - a service
    provided by the airport or a Starbucks-type place in the airport? Or are
    they wireless connections just "floating" in the air?

    If the former, ask the provider why you can't connect. If the latter, then
    probably the second connection is not set up as a DHCP server and isn't
    providing IP addresses. This is why you aren't getting one.

    When Thinkpad was owned by IBM, the laptops with wireless built-in came with
    a very handy network manager - I think it was called something like "IBM
    Connect". If you have this utility, it might be useful to you.

    Malke

    Malke, Jun 24, 2006

  3. Some wireless places are "apparently" open but in fact use one security
    feature (not that by itself it is good enough but it helps) which is Mac
    filtering. If you are on the list of allowed Macs, you get in and if you
    aren't then you don't. So, it doesn't matter, in such cases, that you can
    see the SSID and strength is good etc. You wont get on (unless you are a
    hacker who knows HOW to get around that, of course) and that is that.

    If you think you SHOULD be able to get on to that SSID and that it is NOT
    Mac filtering, I would ask them what they are doing. They may not allow DHCP
    and this may be why your computer isn't getting on.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jun 24, 2006
  4. Thanks for the assistance. Mine is one of the last provided by IBM but
    Lenovo had just bought the company. I think I have the IBM connect on
    it but it was disabled at the suggestion of an IBM help desk tech rep
    almost a year ago. He had me set it up as the Windows connection. My
    question is if I use the IBM connect and it does not work how do I get
    back to the Window connect facility.

    Thanks, Don

    Donald Jacobs, Jun 25, 2006
  5. Donald Jacobs

    Malke Guest

    You would just disable the program the way you did it the first time. There
    is probably an option to do so. I can't check for you because I don't run
    Windows on my Thinkpad.

    The IBM Connect will not let you get an IP address from an access point that
    isn't giving any IP addresses out, though. You didn't answer my previous
    question about the wireless networks to which you are trying to connect. If
    you are just hitchhiking onto someone's unsecured network then I would say
    you have to accept the fact that you won't be able to connect to the second
    one (no IP address).

    Malke

    Malke, Jun 25, 2006
  6. Hi

    Some Hot Spots maintain a semi controlled situation.

    If the Access Point has the MAC filter On it appears as Unsecured Source but
    you can not log in unless the owner let your MAC number through.

    Using this method provides an easy control to the Source since the owner do
    not need to provide an Encryption Key or any other parameters to the
    Wireless Client you just need to check the MAC entry of the Wireless Client.
    It is Not as secure as WEP/WAP connection but under many circumstances it is
    a good compromise.

    Might be that the second Source is MAC protected.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 25, 2006
  7. Sorry about not answering your question. To the best of my knowledge I
    don't think they are hitchhiking but I really don't know. I have the
    feeling it is a company housed at the airport BUT I can't figure out who
    they are. The one that I can access belongs to a limo service and when
    it is up it is great. But for some reason they are not up every time I
    am at the airport. When I've called them the person on the phone say
    they do not have a wifi network but I think he is just a dispatcher and
    does not know.

    BTW, I tried t find the IBM connect on my ThinkPad but it seems to not
    be there. It is possible that the guy had me remove it and now my
    warranty is expired so no help there.

    Thanks for your help.
    Don

    Donald Jacobs, Jun 25, 2006
  8. Donald Jacobs

    Malke Guest

    OK, you have answered the question. You are just using open wireless
    networks without permission. I'm not going to address the morality of doing
    that because it's none of my business. But you certainly can't complain if
    you can't jump onto someone else's network. If you want to be sure you have
    a wireless connection when you are at an airport, find a Starbucks or
    hotspot cafe and pay for one.

    You can download the IBM Connect software from Lenovo if you want it. It
    doesn't matter about your warranty.

    Malke

    Malke, Jun 25, 2006
  9. Thanks for the info. As to the Starbucks, etc. there is nothing
    available in the airport. While the airport has a public access WiFi it
    does not cover the information desk (I man on a volunteer basis) area in
    which I work, at the far end of the facility. Therefore I cannot get to
    the internet to check flight status etc for passengers without resulting
    to a morality issue.
    Don J

    Donald Jacobs, Jun 25, 2006