    have no problems.
    But you can also see why the Homeplug is so attractive to non-techies.
    Plug them in, and in a few minutes, there is communication.

    Davey, Jun 30, 2014

  2. Yes, absolutely. You configure these devices, as with most
    network-capable devices these days, via a web interface using a web
    browser. Any web browser. Any system.

    Sometimes the manufacturers include a CD of some software ostensibly
    intended to make the process more "user-friendly", but probably really
    intended as just an extra opportunity for them to stick their brand
    name in front of your face every time you do anything to their
    product. In other words, bloatware you can safely throw away. This
    would be the only thing specific to any operating system(s). The
    equipment itself just handles TCP/IP networking traffic and doesn't
    care about its content.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 30, 2014

  3. Davey

    Davey Guest

    After installing iwlist:
    [email protected]:~$ cd /sbin
    [email protected]:/sbin$ sudo iw list
    nl80211 not found.

    This laptop always had problems with Ubuntu and Wifi, ver. 12.04 seemed
    to kill access to it, and I never bothered to sort it out. If I really
    needed it, it works perfectly with Win 7, so the actual device is ok.
    Another of those round tuits, and even now, it's not essential (yet),
    so I won't spend time right now on it. I'll get the equipment, and try
    that first.

    Davey, Jun 30, 2014
  4. But isn't powering it and providing shelter from the weather for it in
    the central position between the house and the out building going to be
    more hassle than running a CAT5 cable?

    Brian Gregory, Jul 1, 2014
  5. Davey

    Davey Guest

    It will be indoors, not outside, and I have no intention of digging a
    trough in my concrete driveway for a cable. The mains cable is already
    there, in its own sealed tunnel, somewhere.

    Davey, Jul 1, 2014
  6. Davey

    Jim Guest

    TP-Link's TL-WA850RE works well for me. 75M
    throughout the house and garden.

    Ethernet or push-button setup.

    You can plug entertainment devices into
    the ethernet port so that they can also share
    the wifi network.

    Comes with a 'resource' CD. I don't know what's
    on it as I've never needed it.

    Jim, Jul 1, 2014
  7. Davey

    Davey Guest

    I have ordered one of these:
    EDIMAX EW-7228APN

    and I'll play around with it when it arrives.

    Thanks for the recommendation, though.

    The camera I already have, which was bought for experiments, and the
    Thompson router do not play well. If I use the laptop in Windows mode,
    it shows an Excellent signal to the router, so I figure that the camera
    is not the best at Wifi. It's fine when hard-wired. It loses the ability
    to reconnect via Wifi if it's powered down for more than about 5
    minutes, it and the router will flash their lights for ever, but will
    fail to resume communication, which totally defeats the point of
    having it.
    So I reckon I need a better IP camera, to be ordered later. First, I'll
    play around with the Edimax.

    Davey, Jul 1, 2014
  8. Davey

    Jim Guest

    Extenders are all pretty much the same. Good luck
    with the Edimax.

    Jim, Jul 2, 2014