    Any clues on this one?

    TIA

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 3, 2007

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Is the target drive formatted FAT32?

    Oldus Fartus, May 3, 2007

  3. Jimmy Dean

    old man Guest

    NTFS or FAT?
    maybe the latter?

    old man, May 3, 2007
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Yup that was the prob - 4GB filesize limit. Had to be formatted as
    NTFS.

    Another mystery if you feel like: Size on disk is always bigger than
    actual size of files due to cluster wasteage, isn't this so?

    I have a situation where size of files is about 2.7GB but size on disk
    is 2.4GB. WTF...??? New 250GB SATAII HD with no bad sectors and "minor
    inconsistencies" (fixed) only.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 4, 2007
  5. Jimmy Dean

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Interesting question. The first thing that comes to mind is that
    perhaps the sizes are being reported in different ways, as in a Gig as
    1000 meg against a Gig as 1024 Meg.

    The other way is that perhaps compression is enabled in some of the
    folders/files on the disk. On my main drive for example, the /Windows
    folder's size is shown as 2.28 GB, with size on disk as 2.06 GB. On
    examining the contents of the folder there is a large number of
    sub-folders which XP has compressed.

    Oldus Fartus, May 4, 2007
  6. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Can't buy that as I have never seen this on any other PC.
    The size difference is exactly the sort of thing I am seeing. I'll
    check it out (PC no longer here)

    thanks

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 5, 2007