    Take this one for example - a great HD nature video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ThFCg0tBDck

    Go to full screen and - right proportion, but still borders on top/bottom.

    - Bobb -, Apr 2, 2012

  2. - Bobb -

    Ken Springer Guest

    That is what I tried to do with my TV. We would also have to know how
    much of the signal's aspect ratio is clipped and/or changed by the hardware.
    It might also depend on the type of TV, i.e. a projection TV, LED, LCD,
    DLP, etc.
    I doubt a standard as far as aspect ratio would be worth the effort.
    You can't change the aspect ratios of things already made, especially
    movies. Which one would you pick? Something that didn't match the
    standard would have to have some kind of letterboxing (<--- is that a
    word>) applied.

    For that matter, how would you force a movie maker to follow such a
    standard?
    I don't think, when 4:3 ruled the world, people even watched movies on
    the computer. I know, for my normal use, I'll never willingly go back
    to less than widescreen.

    iMacs have now gone to 16:9, which I don't like. That extra vertical
    unit of "1" makes a difference, especially if you are doing text, letter
    sized paper, and want 100% zoom.

    My two Windows computers have like new 19" HP 9500 CRT monitors, but I'm
    toying with the idea of buying 16:10 monitors so I'll have something to
    replace the CRT's when I need to, or if I should end up using one or
    both Windows units regularly. If I do, though, I'll also have to go
    looking for video cards that have display resolutions that are also 16:10.

    --
    Ken

    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Firefox 11.0
    Thunderbird 11.0.1
    LibreOffice 3.5.0 rc3

    Ken Springer, Apr 2, 2012

  3. - Bobb -

    SC Tom Guest

    My PC monitor is set at 1440x900 (16:10), but the physical size is 20x11.313, which is 16x9.05. My laptop is 1280x800
    (16x10) and the physical size is 13.063x8.125 (16x9.952- close enough to call 10). There is no discernable black bar
    anywhere on my PC monitor, and nothing appears to be stretched. Go figure :)

    SC Tom, Apr 2, 2012
  4. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    I believe the problem is when you play video in full screen. Then you
    get the black bars either on the top/bottom or left/right, or even both.

    BillW50, Apr 2, 2012
  5. - Bobb -

    SC Tom Guest

    I think that's because they aren't really 16:9 or 16:10. Anyone here work at a theater, and could measure the projected
    picture?

    The point I was making is that with the resolution at 16:10 and the physical measurements at 16:9, there should be black
    bars, distortion, or clipping somewhere, but there doesn't appear to be any of those things.

    SC Tom, Apr 2, 2012
  6. - Bobb -

    Ken Springer Guest

    Yikes, Bill, you made me go read the entire article I posted earlier!
    LOL And I discovered some very interesting tidbits or factoids.

    I think we've just "assumed" that the word "widescreen" has a
    meaning/aspect ratio for everything, where the truth is far from that.
    In fact, I made the same assumption a couple of years ago when I
    inherited my mother's projection TV.
    From reading the Wikipedia article, there are multiple standards for
    images, that page lists 24 different aspect ratio standards.

    Would you believe, the 4:3 ratio came from William Dickson and Thomas
    Edison? Dickson worked for Edison devising a motion picture camera.
    Interestingly enough, there was a Frenchman, Louis Le Prince, who
    predated this work, but mysteriously disappeared from a train, and is
    considered the father of motion pictures.

    Why 4:3? Apparently, Dickson and Edison set the frame height as 4
    sprocket perforations on the film. The width, 3, just happened to be
    the distance between the sprockets. The size of the film? 35 mm!

    This is the size of film used in silent movies.
    Same thoughts here.
    I just watched an old Cinemascope western, Bend if the River.
    Definitely not a 16:9 format, and letterboxed.

    If you haven't checked the link, there's a lot of interesting reading on
    this. I found out there's pillarboxing. That's where the bars are on
    the sides, not top and bottom.

    How did widescreen movies come about? TV, which also used 4:3 aspect
    ratio, was becoming popular. The movie industry wanted something to set
    movies apart from TV. You have to wonder how things would have been
    different if they had not invented the rectangular CRT.
    When I bought this Mac, I assumed the monitor was 16:9. It wasn't until
    I started some investigating into screen resolutions I found out it was
    16:10. I read somewhere that Apple chose 16:10 because of something
    relating to web pages, not videos.

    <snip>

    --
    Ken

    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Firefox 11.0
    Thunderbird 11.0.1
    LibreOffice 3.5.0 rc3

    Ken Springer, Apr 3, 2012
  7. - Bobb -

    BillW50 Guest

    Actually there were many round screens made in the 50's and early 60's.
    Here is one of them.

    Radio Craftsman RC-200
    http://www.myvintagetv.com/craftsman_RC-200.htm

    BillW50, Apr 3, 2012
  8. When I Full Screen the video, I get top to bottom on the screen, except for
    a title bar space at the top and the progress bar (status bar) at the
    bottom. These two bars come into view on mouse movement, and go away when
    the mouse stops moving. The spaces are black bands when the mouse goes away.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 3, 2012
  9. - Bobb -

    Guest

    Video fills my HP 2009m monitor completely, with no stretching or squeezing. Might be a display setting or driver issue in your case.

    -CC

    , Apr 3, 2012
  10. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Thanks folks .

    I now understand WHY it is the way that it is, but still ticked off. When
    widescreen first came out it was so we could "enjoy the movie as if in a
    movie theatre", right ? That's what we were told. We'd no longer be missing
    the left and right edges of the movie to fill up the height of the screen.

    - Bobb -, Apr 4, 2012
  11. You cannot blame software (drivers) for the failings of the hardware
    (monitor), and you have to consider the method of production. YOU are having
    issues with wide screen format, but it appears that most of us are not. I
    have a black line at the top and bottom that corrospond with where the Title
    Bar goes at the top and the Status Bar goes at the bottom. When the video
    starts, I get title information at the top, and when the mouse moves while
    the video is playing, I get status information -- various play buttons and
    the progress bar -- at the bottom. The space of the title and the status
    exactly fills the black space.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 5, 2012
  12. - Bobb -

    Guest

    Don't know about you, but I, reasonably regularly, go to the local
    multiplex to watch a movie (cheap Tuesdays, usually). Many, if not all,
    of the screens have curtains either side of the screen which can be
    wound out of the way or not, depending on the aspect ratio of the movie.

    So even the movies cannot settle on a standard!!

    Daniel

    , Apr 18, 2012
  13. - Bobb -

    Guest

    Not all widescreen PC monitors are 16:9; some are 16:10. Video drivers with good scaling will add(or remove) black pillars or bars(horiz) to preserve original AR without making people fat or skinny.

    , Apr 21, 2012
  14. - Bobb -

    Bigbazza Guest

    "- Bobb -" wrote in message
    In the recent past manufacturers have led the consumer to buy into
    widescreen format. Why is it that the content STILL doesn't fill up the
    screen on a TV / PC ?
    Take this one for example - a great HD nature video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ThFCg0tBDck

    Go to full screen and - right proportion, but still borders on top/bottom.

    No borders to my monitor......

    Barry Oz

    Bigbazza, Apr 27, 2012
  15. - Bobb -

    Chris S. Guest

    Not on mine, either. 22" ViewSonic...... LED, 1080p, Full HD.....

    Chris

    Chris S., Apr 27, 2012
  16. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    That was the original point - "widescreen" is a variable.
    It's been confirmed now.
    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Apr 28, 2012