wich Mobile Digital Storage Device to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ryanne, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Ryanne

    Ryanne Guest

    I would like to buy a Mobile Digital Storage Device. Somthing to take
    on holiday and store my digital photo's (Compact Flash card).

    I don't need a picture viewer. The things wich are important to me
    are:
    - reliability (I do not want to lose any photo - no errors)
    - Mac-OsX compatible (I have a Mac)
    - good battery (In case I am in the jungle without electricity for an
    couple of days)
    - shockproof (carry the Device in travel bag).

    I am thinking of the:
    - X-Drive II VP2060 - 20 GB HD => 200 euro
    - Tripper 20gb => 280 euro
    - Arcos Gmini 120 +Photo Wallet Plug-In => 300 euro

    The X drive is cheapert then the others, is this one as good as the
    others?

    do you have tips? wich one is the best buy? other suggestions are
    welcome

    Ryanne, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Ryanne

    chaz Guest

    I have the same problem and was considering an external cd writer is this
    feasible?? Would you be able to transfer images direct to cd writer without
    a pc? or am I deluded? lol

    also found this: http://www.alanrolfe.co.uk/storage.php

    let me know how you get on

    chaz

    chaz, Jan 20, 2004

  3. If long battery life is important to you, you might want to pass on the x-drive
    II (or x-drive Pro for that matter). Its battery is only rated at 2 hours of
    transfer time. Figure you will be able to transfer 8-10 times before the
    battery is exhausted. There are some units (Image Tank, SuperDigibin) that can
    take external batteries, so if you need a really long amount of time, you can
    pack extra batteries.

    All hard drive based portable storage devices do have the disk drive as a
    common point of failure, so you have to make sure you protect it like you
    protect your camera. I did ruin the disk drive in my first unit (Image Bank)
    by knocking it off of a table and sent it crashing to the tile floor.

    Whether a portable CD burner is better for you is a matter of your situation.
    With CDs once the pictures are made, they are more rugged, and you can make
    multiple copies (including mailing them home for extra security). On the other
    hand, you have to carry CD blanks, I would imagine the units are less
    convenient to use in the field as compared to a hotel room, some units can't
    deal with 1GB and larger media, and some units don't have batteries. Apacer,
    Nixvue, and Roadstor are 3 brands of portable CD burners.

    Michael Meissner, Jan 20, 2004