    Immunbiologie
    Postfach 1169 Internet: [email protected] dot mpg dot de
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

    Christoph Gartmann, Sep 29, 2005

  2. :we need a router that supports three fiber optic links (single mode), 1 GBit
    :each. The 2811 seems to be the smallest that supports three HWIC-1GE-SFP.
    :Now what about performance? It is fast enough, provided that it does nothing
    :more than simple static routing? Would a 2821 or even a 2851 be better?

    None of the 28xx are suitable for sustaining gigabit.

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

    The 2851 peaks at 112.64 megabits per second of 64 byte packets,
    220K pps. In theory that would be 2.7 Gbps and yet the 28xx routers
    are marketed in terms of low multiples of T1 (2, 3, 5), and the Gardner
    Reports measured throughputs compatible with sustained T1.

    If your packets average (say) 600 bytes including trailers and intrapacket
    gap, then in order to keep 3 unidirectional gigabit links going, you
    would need a performance of 625,000 packets per second . The closet you
    can get to that is:

    3845 - 500,000 pps
    7200-NPE-G1 - 1,018,000 pps
    7304-NPE-G100 - 1,099,000 pps
    7301 - 1,018,000 pps
    7500-RSP16 - 530,000 pps

    If you need only "simple static routing" then you might want to look
    into Cisco's Catalyst Switch line, the 3550, 3750 (and their kin),
    and the 4000/6000/6500 families. 3 gigabits would barely keep the
    fan running on a 3550 or 3750 "Multilayer switches".

    Walter Roberson, Sep 29, 2005