    that it will be outdated and not upgradeable in months."

    http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-just-shafted-its-most-important-
    smartphone-partner-nokia-2012-6

    peter, Jun 23, 2012

  2. peter

    JohnO Guest

    I doubt it's that big a deal.

    I bet 90% of phone owners never upgrade the software on their phones,
    nor would they know how to.

    Plenty of Android devices around are also quite restricted on their
    upgradability to new major versions.

    JohnO, Jun 24, 2012

  3. peter

    Gordon Guest

    Indeed my tablet is, for it has failed to upgrade the OS many a time. I now
    cancel when asked the question.

    Gordon, Jun 24, 2012
  4. peter

    Dave Doe Guest

    As are iPhones.

    Jesus... how can the OP expect a non multi-core based phone to do what
    the new ones do. They're all in the same boat, iPhone, Android and
    Windows Phone.

    I note on sites like DX/Dealextreme that there are *hundreds* of Android
    phones that cannot run Icecream Sandwich.

    Should software development be stopped just because old hardware can't
    run it? Of course not - get the new hardware!

    Indeed, this highlights the problem - it's the phones, not the phone
    OS's!

    Dave Doe, Jun 24, 2012
  5. peter

    Enkidu Guest

    There was much more OS overlap in the computer market - several
    difference generations of hardware would run the same OS and software.
    Do you really expect people to spend several hundred dollars every
    couple of years on a new phone? I've only ever had four phones and one
    of those upgrade was because Telecom upgraded their network and another
    one I lost.
    No, it's the users - falling for the old 'upgrade and get the latest
    shiny buttons' trick.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 24, 2012
  6. peter

    Dave Doe Guest

    Sure, but with all due respect, we're talking phone here.
    Well looking at work clients, yep, that's exactly what they do with
    their iPhones and Androids.
    That's what they want - they wouldn't spend their money doing it
    otherwise. Personal or business expense, it doesn't seem to stop most
    folk.

    Dave Doe, Jun 24, 2012
  7. peter

    Enkidu Guest

    yeah, I know. My point was that PC software developers develop for more
    than one platform, so why can't phone software developers?
    Yeah. I don't see the sense in it. Pay up to a grand for something that
    you could easily lose.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 24, 2012
  8. peter

    Enkidu Guest

    Another thing. Many people who get these phones don't know how to use
    them. Many have never even synched them to theor PC. Same with tablets.
    There are people these days whose full time job is to support managers
    who have these phones and tablets.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 24, 2012
  9. peter

    Me Guest

    There are now cheap (<$300) android phones with iPhone size screens
    which do most of what the $1,000 ones do - with the exception of
    apparent must-have features like being able to tap the backs of two
    phones of the same model together when you want to share your pirated
    mp3 collection. The cheap phones are not particularly cool (TM)
    however, according to my 19YO son.
    I don't "get it" either - but the iPhone was certainly a very cool (TM)
    device at the time it was released.
    The Samsung vs iThing battle is rather odd, while Apple and Samsung are
    trying to sue the crap out of each other all over the planet, teardown
    on iPhones/iPads shows that the retina displays are made by Samsung.
    Samsung is a large diverse company with many divisions, but the screens
    on these devices aren't generic display modules that Apple would design
    and then tender out to the lowest bidder - there must have been
    long-term collaboration between the companies. Perhaps like the Pepsi
    vs Coke battles of last century, both companies gain more from the
    publicity - and particularly from developing customer "brand loyalty",
    which is a great way to lock in future profit, by using such tactics to
    convince customers that there really is a difference, and that it really
    matters.
    The worst part of all this (IMO) is the market acceptance that more and
    more devices are throwaway lifestyle accessories. Apple's
    non-serviceability of their new MacBook pro must be deliberate, yet the
    device still appeals to to me (not an iFan) on some levels.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1#.T97vqLX9N8E

    Me, Jun 24, 2012
  10. No, it's the users - falling for the old 'upgrade and get the latest
    shiny buttons' trick.[/QUOTE]

    Yep. Problem identified. Now, if only there was a solution to stupidity ...
    :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 25, 2012
  11. peter

    Dave Doe Guest

    I think the main reason is that phones don't enjoy a reasonably common
    hardware platform that PC's have enjoyed since 1981.

    I remember my early PC days, on a TRS-80 - other computers around
    (excepting mainframes of course) where the Commodore and a couple others
    I can't remember anymore.

    Then IBM released their PC blueprint - and *everything* changed.
    Phones, for reasons that I think are reasonably obvious, will never go
    that way anytime soon.

    Dave Doe, Jun 25, 2012
  12. peter

    Enkidu Guest

    There's only so many types of processor, ram and the rest that are used
    in phones. I think that they can do it. Android runs on many sorts of
    phones.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 26, 2012
  13. peter

    Dave Doe Guest

    Sure it does. But my point is the *latest* Android does not.

    Dave Doe, Jun 26, 2012
  14.
    sophietraore63, Jun 27, 2012