    Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by the
    generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power? It's very
    weird.

    Brian, Nov 5, 2004

  2. I suppose that if the generator isn't running at precisely 60Hz, it
    could affect your clocks. Just a guess.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Brian

    Jim Tiberio Guest

    try these guys, very helpful with household stuff:

    alt.home.repair

    Jim Tiberio, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Brian

    Muppet Guest

    Start betting on the horses.You can't lose.

    Muppet, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Mahalo. I posted there and will see what they say

    Brian, Nov 5, 2004
  6. Brian

    BuddhaOK Guest

    Right. Most appliances use the 60hz on the AC as a counter to keep
    time. Doesn't usually apply to audio/video equipment like vcr's, tv's, etc.

    BuddhaOK, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Yes, a generator doesn't sync with atomic clocks like the urban powerplants
    usually do. So even a *small* difference in frequency (let's say 60.1 Hz
    instead of 60, or 50.1 instead of 50) will give a accumulated difference of
    about 3 minutes/day for devices which derive their clock from mains
    frequency. Be glad the generator doesn't stop working suddenly :)

    Walter Mautner, Nov 6, 2004
  8. Brian

    Not Me Guest

    "Brian"

    | we lost power for a few days last weekend. we're now running on a power
    | generator.
    |
    | I now have troubles with my alarm clock radio and microwave. The clocks on
    | both are now super fast. I just fixed them no more than 9 hours ago last
    | night, and already the microwave is 16 minutes fast and the alarm clock
    | radio is 11 minutes fast.
    |
    | Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by the
    | generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power? It's
    very
    | weird.

    RPM of your gen set is high. If it's one of the cheaper units should run at
    3600 RPM if a better models it should run at 1800 RPM

    If you don't have an accurate RPM meter you might try buying a tuning fork
    (60 Hz for 3600 rpm, 30 Hz for 1800 RPM).

    Place the 'dead' end of the TF on the metal case and adjust the throttle for
    maximum vibration on the tuning fork. FWIW a 60 Hz TF *may* work on a 1800
    RPM genset but likely not the other way 'round)

    I should note that this is for a US standard gen set. Some parts of the
    world operate at 50 Hz.

    Another way is to set up a standard TV set and watch the screen. If the gen
    set is off there *may* be a slight flicker in the picture. Adjust the gen
    set until the flicker is gone. (this works ONLY if you have a live station
    on the set)

    Not Me, Nov 8, 2004