    PeeGee

    The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
    to be removed from a computer easily."

    PeeGee, Feb 7, 2008

  2. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    According to the IPCONFIG data "Local Area Connection 3" is your modem
    Bernard, someone else here has suggested I delete the Realtek from
    Device Manager and then reinstall it. I see no harm in doing that
    because it's not serving him at all at the moment. SO, I have just gone
    to Device Manager to delete the Realtek and I have observed that my USB
    modem is not listed under Modems. There IS one modem listed under
    Modems and it's my External dial-up modem which I very occasionally use
    - just to keep a reliable dial-up pay-as-you-go email account alive. So
    where is my Speedtouch USB Broadband Modem? I see that it is listed in
    Device Manager under "Network Connections". Presumably this is because
    at the moment the laptop and the desktop both use the Speedtouch USB
    Broadband Modem via a Manual Share 4 Port Switch? ANYWAY, do you think
    the fact that the Broadband Modem AND the Realtek are both listed under
    Network Connections accounts for why running IPCONFIG results in the
    Ethernet indicating the Broadband Modem rather than the Router?

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 7, 2008

  3. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Bernard,

    IF the fact that in Device Manager both my Realtek Ethernet card AND the
    USB Broadband modem are listed is the cause of my router problem, and if
    therefore I delete the Realtek entry in the Device Manager . . . can you
    assure me it is easy to re-install? I'm a bit concerned this was
    installed when the computer was put together at the factory and I may
    not be able to do it myself. Hopefully you'll show me it's easy to do!

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 7, 2008
  4. Eddy

    PeeGee Guest

    The USB switch is effectively transparent as far as USB is concerned. I
    would vote for the USB software high-jacking the ethernet interface,
    personally. However, two more snippets have appeared - the laptop also
    uses USB but can use wireless (but you haven't said if it will work with
    a wired connection) and you have an analogue modem installed.

    I also use a laptop with analogue modem (for the same purpose as you
    mentioned) and wireless or wired as required. For that I ensure that
    "never dial a connection" is set in internet options, as you can always
    invoke it manually if needed.

    There is a possibility that deleting the realtek in device manager might
    cause a USB problem, but I would be tempted to try as the USB modem can
    always be re-installed (you do have the CD?).

    PeeGee, Feb 7, 2008
  5. Eddy

    Bernard Peek Guest

    If you delete the Realtek network card entry in device manager the
    system will rediscover it as new hardware when you restart. It's safe,
    provided the system has the correct driver software installed. If you
    don't have the right software drivers then it's never going to work. If
    you got a driver CD with the PC then you might need to use it to
    reinstall drivers, but you probably won't need it.

    Until I started reading this thread I had never heard of 2Wire routers,
    and now that I've looked at their web site I'm certain that I wouldn't
    recommend them to anyone. Do you have the correct activation code? I've
    only found instructions for the 1070 on their site and that apparently
    needs to be activated for some reason. The lack of that code doesn't
    explain the problem that you are having, but it might be the next hurdle
    to get over.

    Bernard Peek, Feb 7, 2008
  6. Eddy

    PeeGee Guest

    All you are doing is removing the hardware device and then, by
    refreshing, getting Windows to detect a new piece of hardware.
    Re-installation of the drivers will be automatic, as Windows already
    knows about them and they are not deleted when the hardware disappears.

    PeeGee, Feb 7, 2008
  7. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    OK, thanks! One other question: by "refreshing", are you referring to
    the "Control Panel" > "Add New Hardware" process? If not, how do I
    "refresh"?

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 7, 2008
  8. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    It's a theory worth following.
    Eeeek! More "computer hell" on the way. I don't think I could take it.

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 7, 2008
  9. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Yes, the laptop has worked with the router via the laptop's ethernet
    connection.
    Yes, I do have the CD for the USB modem. Have just located it,
    thankfully.

    So before deleting the Realtek network connection in Hardware Devices,
    I'm just going to wait now to hear from you how to "refresh".

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 7, 2008
  10. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Thanks, Bernard. Yes, I have an activation code.

    As for deleting the Realtek entry in Device Manager, the entry says that
    the correct driver is installed, so presumably, as you suggest, it will
    remain after I delete the entry and be found when the computer
    rediscovers the device. Is booting up the same as "refreshing" - in
    order to get the device listed again?

    Yes, the 2WIRE HG1070 is a discontinued model. It has worked fine with
    the laptop, so the problem is in my computer rather than with the
    router, I feel. I've been tempted over the past week to just to dump
    the thing and start fresh with the one that my ISP (Virgin) recommends
    and supplies, along with instructions & assistance etc., however I don't
    see that their should work with my computer if the 2WIRE won't!

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 7, 2008
  11. Eddy

    Clint Sharp Guest

    They're actually rather good, plenty of features and rock solid in use
    IME.
    You only need an activation code if you don't want or aren't able to
    configure the router manually (I.E. setting VCI/VPI, PPPoA or PPPoE
    etc..) It's a shortcut code that configures the device 'automatically'
    It won't be. 2Wire list the codes on their site somewhere.

    Clint Sharp, Feb 7, 2008
  12. Eddy

    Bernard Peek Guest

    Yes. At some time in the future you may want to see whether there are
    later version of the driver available on the Realtek web site, but let's
    deal with one thing at a time.
    I think you are correct, but as I've never come across 2Wire products
    before I'm a little wary.

    Bernard Peek, Feb 7, 2008
  13. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Guys,

    Are we on to something here? As follows:

    1. I deleted the Realtek Ethernet from the "Network Connections"
    section in "Device Manager", then switched everything off, unplugged my
    USB dial-up modem, plugged in the router, then switched on the computer,
    and then ran IPCONFIG, and got the following:

    C:\>ipconfig /all | more
    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DAVID
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-6A-B3-C7-9B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.237.180
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

    What do you make of the above, guys?

    By the way, once the computer booted up, it replaced the "Local Area
    Connection 3" in the Network Connections windows/folder with "Local Area
    Connection 7", stating that this new connection was using the Realtek.

    Anyway, here are some other things I have noticed that you guys may see
    something in:

    2. In the Network Connections window/folder, I right-clicked "Local
    Area Connection 7" > Properties > Realtek > Configure > Advanced >
    Network Address = "Not Present".

    3. In the Network Connections window/folder, I right-clicked "Local
    Area Connection 7" > Repair = the computer tried for 10 secs then says
    "Following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address".

    4. Should VPN (Virtual Private Networks) have a role to play in getting
    this router to show a GREEN broadband connection and to work?

    5. In my Network Connections window/folder, if I display the contents
    in "Details" mode, there are 4 headings:
    a. Broadband - where there is nothing
    Dial-up - where there are two settings for my USB Virgin modem, & my
    external dial-up modem
    b. LAN or High-Speed Internet - where there is the "Local Area
    Connection 7"
    c. Wisard - where there are the icons for setting up "New Connection"
    and "Network Setup".
    The question is: should my router be working with the above situation?
    Am I right in believing that when using a Router sections (a) & (b) are
    redundant? Or do I need to have a setting in the Broadband section?

    6. In Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings =
    should anything be entered specifically?

    I'm hoping you guys are going to see something meaningful somewhere in
    all the above, especially in No. 1!

    Eddy.

    P.S. Gotta take a break from this misery now till tomorrow morning.
    Will look for your responses then.

    Eddy, Feb 7, 2008
  14. Eddy

    PeeGee Guest

    You could have done a refresh by selecting the computer entry at the top
    (David), right click and scan for changes. I couldn't find the refresh
    button either - I wonder if that was Win98?
    That looks better, but though Dhcp is enabled, the computer is not
    getting an address from the router and windows is assigning a "Microsoft
    automatic private" address. You should, probably, have a 192.168.0.x
    address with 255.255.255.0 mask. (You can check this in your laptop).

    If you go to network connections and open the properties for the
    connection, then the properties for the "internet protocol", there
    should be two tabs. The first should have automatic set for dhcp and
    dns. Select the "alternate configuration" tab and you can set a
    fall-back fixed address for the interface.

    The default gateway is the router address, as is the DNS usually (the
    laptop data will give you these - use the wired connection, though). The
    netmask will normally be 255.255.255.0 (unless you have changed it -
    it's in the laptop data) and you can set an IP address with the first
    three numbers the same as the router and the fourth one any value
    (preferably in the middle if the range, say 128) but not: the one used
    by the router, the ones used by the laptop (wireless and wired may be
    different), 0 or 255 (the last two are reserved).

    If the dhcp request fails, the computer will use the specified address
    instead, which is valid for the network. If implemented correctly, dhcp
    will not issue an address if it is already in use (it should check first
    by trying to get a response from the address it is about to issue). This
    can get screwed by Windows firewall blocking responses :-(

    You should then be able to browse the router to get the configuration
    pages, including checking the dhcp services, even if the address does
    not come from dhcp. IPCONFIG will show that by the address the computer
    is using.
    These are due to the failure of dhcp somewhere. Windows sometimes gets
    confused and makes assumptions about the dhcp server address - it's a
    right PITA to sort out, but it does eventually. A fixed address will get
    over that as a temporary measure.
    No, that's a different ball-game :)
    You can leave those empty, they are for more complicated connections,
    such a via a LINUX proxy server ;-)

    PeeGee, Feb 7, 2008
  15. Eddy

    Bernard Peek Guest

    First, the card is installed. The drivers are working. So much for the
    good news.

    The bad news is that the 169.254... address tells us that the card
    hasn't been able to find a DHCP server. Normally a router includes one.
    If we hadn't already found that the cable was connected I would have
    suspected that.

    More good news is that it's quite easy to deal with this.

    What you need to do is to change the IP properties for the network
    connection. You need to give it a static IP address. Select that
    connection, right-click and select Properties.

    Select the TCP/IP protocol line, right-click that and select Properties
    again. You will see a form with a radio button selected that says the
    card should get its IP address automatically. You need the other option,
    to specify a manual address. Enter the address 192.168.0.2, a net mask
    of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway address of 192.168.0.254.

    Change the DNS Server entry too. Enter the addresses of your ISP's DNS
    servers. Enter the router's IP address as the third DNS server. After
    that everything should work.

    Bernard Peek, Feb 7, 2008
  16. Eddy

    Mortimer Guest

    Probably not a good idea to chose 192.168.0.2 or any low number for the
    final byte. Most DHCP servers allocate addresses starting with the lowest in
    the "scope" (the pool of addresses that it can hand out), so the first PC to
    connect will be given .1 and the second to connect will be .2, if the router
    has just been booted. With a static address of .2, you run the risk of using
    the same address as DHCP has already handed out, if there are ever two other
    PCs connected.

    Better to choose .250 or something high like that. Ideally you'd exclude
    whatever IP you allocated statically from the router's DHCP pool, but
    instructions for doing that are router-specific and maybe a bit complicated
    to describe.

    Mortimer, Feb 7, 2008
  17. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Can't wait to try. Can you tell me how I find out what my ISP's DNS
    server settings are? Virgin take weeks to answer emails. Have scoured
    Google re. the DNS settings and saw somebody saying "just enter 4.2.2.2
    and 4.2.2.3".

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 8, 2008
  18. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    So, Mortimer, you're suggesting I enter 192.168.0.250 as the address, do
    I understand you correctly?

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 8, 2008
  19. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Thanks, PeeGee, will read all the above a second time later today, try
    to understand it, then carry out everybody's suggestions.

    Thanks.

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Feb 8, 2008
  20. Eddy