WHY won't Nikon meter with old lenses?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by juneauDOTmeDOTvtedu, May 6, 2005.

  1. Paul Furman
    wrote:
    : > Exactly... it's what the Pentax does on old lenses where it doesn't know what
    : > wide-open is. Hit a button to have it:
    : > - Stop down to what the aperture ring is set to

    : For a manual aperture lens, I assume you would have a dark viewfinder?

    During the automatic stop/meter/set, yes the viewfinder is dark. Also, if
    you're using an even *older* (M42 screwmount) lens, the physical linkage does not
    actuate the aperture. Fortunately, those lenses have an A/M knob/ring/lever to
    manually stop them down. Then you can compose wide open, manually stop, have it
    meter, and fire. It's tedious, but at least it works.

    : > The whole thing takes about 1/4 sec. I'm not clear from any
    : > pictures/descriptions of how the D70 mount works why that cannot be done.

    : The lens has a little lever facing the mount, spring loaded to open up.

    Sounds like it works the same. Unless moving the ring on the aperture does
    not limit the *actual* motion of the iris when the camera body moves the lever, it
    should be possible to work the same way.

    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *

    juneauDOTmeDOTvtedu, May 6, 2005