Why Unable to establish 'Wireless' on XP with SP3?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by MapleE., Oct 29, 2009.

  1. MapleE.

    MapleE. Guest

    Hi:
    I got a new PC with XP with SP3.

    I attempted to establish Wireless/Comcast by having un-plugged 'Netgear'
    from an old PC with XP/ SP1 to a brand new PC with XP/SP3. I tried it by
    accessing 'Wireless Network Setting' on Control Panel, however I'm NOT able
    to establish 'Wireless' connection by using Netgear which was used on an old
    PC. In the meantime, I can easily established a connection/Comcast by using
    a long cable, ...' Wired.'

    I want 'Wireless' connection by using Netgear, ... not a long Cable, 'Wired'
    connection.

    My question is;
    Is there any way for me to establish 'Wireless' connection by using
    'Netgear' which was used by an old PC?

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    MapleE., Oct 29, 2009

  2. MapleE.

    Daddy Guest

    Although it's not a requirement, you increase your chances of success by
    using a network client that is recommended for your router.

    Contact the manufacturer of your router and find out which network client(s)
    they recommend for your model of router.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Oct 29, 2009

  3. Jack [MVP-Networking], Oct 30, 2009
  4. MapleE.

    MapleE. Guest

    Thanks both for the responses.

    Jack, MVP-Networking:
    The PC is NOT equipped with wireless. It's economical and same as an older
    type of PC, because I purchased it as a 'back-up/spare' PC.

    The Netgear that is similar to flash-drive was connected with USB-cable and
    was originally installed by Comcast technician.

    Knowing this, it's more likely I need to call asking for a proper
    installtion to the brand new PC?

    Because, after all, I hate to screw it up. I'm no way an expert to do that
    job.

    MapleE., Oct 30, 2009