Why UMPC is going to be a disaster

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Simple really.

    Look at the price! £799.95 (which is about NZ$2250)

    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=SAMSUNG_Q1

    How on earth can these dreamers get it so wrong - the market just isn't
    going to kick start with these kinds of prices; they are almost
    competing directly with tablet PC, and many notebooks are half this price.

    As I've said before, this is only ever going to be used by those who
    don't actually have to pay for their own device - ie, businesses. It is
    never going to be the pervasive or domestic device that it was intended
    to be.

    And yet, MIT's One Laptop per Child device is going to cost ~US$137.

    I think the UMPC crowd are setting themselves up for failure - but why?
    Maybe the price will drop as more devices become available, but very few
    manufacturers have shown any real interest.

    Any body here getting one? :)

    -=rjh=-, Apr 15, 2006

  2. >
    > And yet, MIT's One Laptop per Child device is going to cost ~US$137.
    >
    > I think the UMPC crowd are setting themselves up for failure - but why?
    > Maybe the price will drop as more devices become available, but very few
    > manufacturers have shown any real interest.
    >
    > Any body here getting one? :)

    Got to love the free economy, I prefer to stand well back from the bleeding
    edge of technology.

    I have tried all manner of small ultra portable bullshit, nowdays i live
    with a small IBM notebook and a t3g card. It may not be ulteportable, but it
    works

    Tihare

    Tihare Eruera, Apr 16, 2006

  3. -=rjh=-

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:37:29 +1200, -=rjh=- <>
    exclaimed:

    >Simple really.
    >
    >Look at the price! £799.95 (which is about NZ$2250)
    >
    >http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=SAMSUNG_Q1
    >
    >How on earth can these dreamers get it so wrong - the market just isn't
    >going to kick start with these kinds of prices; they are almost
    >competing directly with tablet PC, and many notebooks are half this price.
    >
    >As I've said before, this is only ever going to be used by those who
    >don't actually have to pay for their own device - ie, businesses. It is
    >never going to be the pervasive or domestic device that it was intended
    >to be.
    >
    >And yet, MIT's One Laptop per Child device is going to cost ~US$137.
    >
    >I think the UMPC crowd are setting themselves up for failure - but why?
    >Maybe the price will drop as more devices become available, but very few
    >manufacturers have shown any real interest.
    >
    >Any body here getting one? :)

    Possibly - depends if it makes me more efficient.

    I paid almost $2K for my I-mate Jasjar, without regret:
    http://www.clubimate.com/t-DETAILS_JASJAR.aspx

    The other thing to remember is that this is cutting edge stuff, and
    will drop in price pretty quickly.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 16, 2006
  4. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Simple really.
    >
    > Look at the price! £799.95 (which is about NZ$2250)
    >
    > http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=SAMSUNG_Q1
    >
    > How on earth can these dreamers get it so wrong - the market just isn't
    > going to kick start with these kinds of prices; they are almost competing
    > directly with tablet PC, and many notebooks are half this price.
    >
    > As I've said before, this is only ever going to be used by those who don't
    > actually have to pay for their own device - ie, businesses. It is never
    > going to be the pervasive or domestic device that it was intended to be.
    >
    > And yet, MIT's One Laptop per Child device is going to cost ~US$137.
    >
    > I think the UMPC crowd are setting themselves up for failure - but why?
    > Maybe the price will drop as more devices become available, but very few
    > manufacturers have shown any real interest.
    >
    > Any body here getting one? :)

    Keep an eye on Darryl's blog on Geekzone... He is a Microsoft Evangelist,
    and this blog is dedicated to mobility (his MSDN blog is more development
    focused). Also, he's ordered one (Microsoft doesn' give these, they are
    third party hardware) and will be writing a diary about it:

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/darrylb

    A couple of entries talk about UMPC and market segmentation, development and
    other topics.

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,