    this two week span and system restore did not uninstall them? I know
    that typically sys restore does not touch your data files, but it
    should for programs? is that right? Thanks.

    lbbss, Nov 9, 2008

  2. lbbss

    richard Guest

    It all depends on whether or not if those programs use the registry
    and how much.
    Technically, system restore only backdates the windows files, not your
    data files or program files.
    There may be times though, if you have a program installed on the same
    drive as the OS, it might get wiped out.
    Which is one reason why I try not to install programs on that drive.

    richard, Nov 9, 2008

  3. lbbss

    VanguardLH Guest

    Start -> Help and Support
    Search on "system restore".
    Read.
    Then you'll realize that System Restore is NOT an uninstaller.
    You'll also realize that System Restore is NOT a partition imager.

    VanguardLH, Nov 9, 2008
  4. lbbss

    Pennywise Guest

    I have never used system restore, I use ERUNT.

    But system restore only cares about windows files or programs

    Not being a windows OS files or program your programs would be
    ignored.

    Even with ERUNT your programs would remain but there would be no
    registry entries for them, so you could just delete them or reinstall
    again.

    Pennywise, Nov 9, 2008
  5. lbbss

    why? Guest

    2 weeks is a bit tricky, if another system restore aware app or 2 or 3
    were installed since then.
    Um... not. Could depend if you created a restore point manually before
    installing an app and after.

    Find out what system restore does.

    About/How to use and other links
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

    Which passwords are restored and those that aren't
    Information on System Restore and Password Restoration
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295050/

    SR does and doesn't do.
    http://www.andyrathbone.com/tips/systemrestore.html

    Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

    How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

    Troubleshooting issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796

    Me

    why?, Nov 9, 2008
  6. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    No it will *never* erase any files. It just changes the registry itself.

    chuckcar, Nov 9, 2008