    Greetings! Why Sony Rechargable Lithium batteries so expensive? It
    cost about sixty dollars whereas Kodak rechargable batteries costs
    less than twentyfive dollars. With thanks.

    zxcvar, Nov 21, 2004

  2. zxcvar

    Mark² Guest

    Sony is the king of GOTCHA marketing strategies.

    Memory stick...
    Beta...
    Minidisc...
    Batteries...

    They LOVE this stuff.
    -Sell you a video camera for $280 and then sell you a fricking battery for
    another $99.

    It's a lot like computer printers these days.
    You can buy incredibly capable printers for cheap, only to find that the ink
    costs more than half the price of the printer every couple months...

    Mark², Nov 21, 2004

  3. zxcvar

    Larry Guest

    ANOTHER GOTCHA from Sony!

    I have several batteries I bought at Radio Shack for my Sony F-717 digital
    Camera and Sony Digital Cam-corder.

    These cameras work FINE in the 717 and the Cam-corder but if I put them in
    the F 828, I get a screen saying "Sony Infolitium Only" and the camera shuts
    off.

    Since the "info lithium" part in those batteries works on the cam-corder, and
    on the 717, I can only assume the camera is shutting off because its not
    identified as SONY, and for no other reason.

    The batteries that came with the 717, the 828, and the cam-corder all work
    interchangealy between the 3 devices, but the Radio shack batteries work in
    the 717 and the cam-corder only.

    Larry, Nov 21, 2004
  4. zxcvar

    Larry Guest

    Supposed to read "These BATTERIES work fine in the 717 and ....."

    Larry, Nov 21, 2004
  5. zxcvar

    Jerry G. Guest

    The big name brand products are generally more expensive for many reasons.
    Some of the cost is in the marketing costs, and the higher manufacturing
    costs. Higher end products usually have higher costs not only for their
    basic purchase, but for their support, and for their accessories as well.

    I have a few Canon digital, and Canon film cameras. I do find that the
    accessories are rather expensive. But, the performance of these products is
    very good.

    Jerry G., Nov 21, 2004
  6. zxcvar

    Chrlz Guest

    I agree with Jerry, and would add R&D costs. A lot of third party
    suppliers just copy others technology. I have found the Sony
    batteries far better than any clones in both longevity and power
    output. Are they worth the extra on a cost-benefit basis? - probably
    not. But is that fair? How much do you value the research that went
    into a camera that accurately tells you, to the minute, how much
    shooting time you have left? I've just gone from a Sony DSC-F717 to
    an Olympus C8080, and the one thing I miss the most is Sony's
    WONDERFUL 'Infolithium' system - it gives you immense faith in the use
    of the camera when far away from power supplies. I would certainly
    have paid the extra for something similar on the Olympus. I will
    instead just end up buying a few spare batteries, and cursing when it
    dies on me at a critical moment and I lose a valuable shot while
    changing the battery..

    If you object to Sony's pricing, don't buy their stuff. Simple. And
    then, don't be jealous, and give them a little credit when they come
    up with worthwhile ideas..

    (O;

    Chrlz, Nov 21, 2004
  7. Gary Hendricks, Nov 22, 2004
  8. zxcvar

    MTBike1970 Guest

    Sony infolithium batteries have an onboard microchip that measures the
    remaining power and converts that to remaining minutes of operating time.
    That's why they're more expensive that other brands. Up to you if the
    extra cost is worth it, but as someone else pointed out, some of the Sony
    products require you to use a Sony battery.
    regards...

    MTBike1970, Feb 25, 2005
  9. zxcvar

    Stewy Guest

    Unfortunately this ability comes with a price - reduced battery use time
    - around 2 hours as well as a shorter lifespan than NiMH batteries. If
    you don't use the InfoLithium batteries for some time then they often
    won't retain a full charge. And additional recharging doesn't seem to
    make much difference.

    Stewy, Feb 26, 2005
  10. And besides having the info-lithium technology, they also are labelled as
    "Sony"that's the primary reason they are so expensive.I tried to find a
    NP-F330 for my camcorder, and it costed 50 euro.You can find generic ones,
    but nobody knows how they behave.

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Feb 26, 2005
  11. zxcvar

    PhotoMan Guest