why so much cpu time by google chrome

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Guest, Nov 10, 2013.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Nov 10, 2013

  2. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I have no idea why that's happening. I fired up Chrome, went to a random
    site and checked WTM and it's using 0%. (Actually 2 x 0% as, for some reason
    there are *two* entries for Chrome in Task Manager [XP Pro] - I don't know
    what's causing that. When I close it down they both vanish.)

    However when I copied that URL into it suddenly Chrome's using between (*2
    x*) 28 and 40%! Could it be a perv tax? My mad skills aren't mad enough to
    trace the reason, sorry. All I can do is confirm that I get the same thing.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2013

  3. Guest

    Me Guest

    Chrome runs a separate process for each open window/tab - reason being
    that if one tab crashes, it doesn't take the rest down with it. So each
    tab shows up separately in task manager. Chrome has it's own task
    manager built in - press shift|Esc key to enable it.
    That page uses 12% cpu on my laptop (Core i7) Disable javascript, and
    it drops to the usual close to 0% - and you lose the "live updating
    comments" at the bottom of the page. Chrome uses a sand-boxed
    javascript rendering engine. Code on that page doesn't seem to agree
    with it, so moot point whether the page should be optimised for chrome,
    or vice-versa. It might be to do with plugins - I haven't checked.

    Don't know why the OP thinks that page is "R18". You see worse (or
    better) on primetime TV.

    Me, Nov 11, 2013
  4. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ok. Thing is I only had one tab open. ???
    I had a feeling it might be a javascript issue.
    Really? I haven't watched TV for years.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2013