    Can anyone explain - beyond confirming that Firefox can't reproduce
    shading behind text?

    Thanks.

    Eddy, Oct 25, 2008

  2. on that page you've given, take a look at the name
    David Cade above and I see shading there.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 25, 2008

  3. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Thanks, Peter. If you try to select "David Cade" you can't, because
    it's an image.

    This does seem to be a bit of flaw in the wonderful Firefox, don't you
    think?

    Eddy, Oct 26, 2008
  4. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 26, 2008
  5. Eddy

    Ken Guest

    Yes, here you can see http://tekniken.se/misc/shading.png

    Ken, Oct 26, 2008
  6. for what its worth, its not there in SeaMonkey,
    Firefox, Safari, Opera, or Google Chrome. Just IE.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 27, 2008
  7. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Eddy, Oct 27, 2008
  8. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Thanks, Nigel. I know little about HTML. I just stick up a website
    using a simple program and have always thought that whatever the program
    creates will be reproduced by any browser. So far, until Firefox and
    IE7 this has been the case. So am now in need of a simple easy-to-use
    web-making program which won't OFFER any effects that the browsers won't
    recreate!!!!

    Any suggestions. "Free to use" would be a big help. Please, don't
    mock. (So far have been getting along fine by way of program called
    WEB!)

    Eddy, Oct 27, 2008
  9. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    And, apparently, just IE 6 or earlier. Not IE 7. Yes?

    Eddy, Oct 27, 2008
  10. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Ah, interesting! Peter, you CAN see it in IE7? It IS subtle and it
    does make a difference from just flat-coloured text, giving the letters
    a three-dimensional look. Glad to hear IE7 IS reproducing the shading.
    Trouble is, it seems all the "cool" surfers on the planet are not using
    IE any more! (General hatred of Microsoft.)

    Eddy, Oct 27, 2008
  11. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Yes. Maddening, isn't it. Having to play this game of going from
    browser to browser to see how a page will appear and then having to
    tweak it so that you on average you get a fairly acceptable result.
    Good for you for learning how to hand-code!

    Thanks for the reference to Kompozer. Have had a good look at the site
    and it seems Kompozer could be very helpful. Someone pretty
    knowledgeable in how to make websites superfriendly to Google told me a
    couple of years ago that CCS is one of the things to go for and it seems
    Kompozer incorporates this. Eeeek. The temptation of a new learning
    curve and hours rejigging a website . . . that most people won't think
    much different from what exists already!

    Cheers.

    Eddy, Oct 28, 2008
  12. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Ralph, thanks a lot. This is really helpful.

    So it appears that the web-making program, admittedly 10 years old now
    though patched for use with XP, is at fault.

    Somebody else suggested using Kompozer, which looks good and I have
    downloaded, but would I be right in thinking one can't be sure that even
    the most recent, advanced, and expensive, web-making programs will
    create pages with all the browsers in mind?

    Eddy, Oct 29, 2008
  13. Eddy

    Justin Guest

    Eddy wrote on [Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:36:10 GMT]:
    No web development software will create pages with all browsers in mind,
    there's hundreds of browsers. Even your small list doesn't include the
    top 5 most popular. Opera and Safari were not included, for example.

    Justin, Oct 29, 2008