Why Pentium?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Talal Itani, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. Talal Itani

    kony Guest

    They're off-brand/low-quality, small diameter, thin, higher
    RPM... essentially all the things that make for shorter
    lifespan.

    It's possible to make higher quality small fans but it'd
    cost more. Even better would be reduction in necessary flow
    by having a better hunk of metal under the fan, combined
    with a 15-20mm thick fan of at least 50mm diameter.

    Manufacturers aren't interested in lifespan beyond the
    warranty period in most cases though, so the best course is
    to replace whole 'sink-fan assembly or relube the fan (if a
    sleeve bearing type) before it begins making noise so the
    bearingway isn't chewed up and enlarged (so then whatever
    lube is added, is even less likely to stay where it should.
    Also once a fan has worn some a thicker lube will help keep
    it in the bearing.

    Nope, beyond that the manufacturers of these low-end
    products don't want to offer only a fan, instead a more
    costly alternative.
    I'd just replace the whole 'sink, or in some cases you can
    put a normal full-framed fan on if you use longer screws.
    It's a bit more difficult if the video card doesnt' have
    clearance under it, but I always advise to leave an empty
    slot under the video card anyway so there's less heat
    buildup and/or better air intake->exhaust in cases where the
    card exhausts out the rear through the mounting slot
    bracket.

    Ultimately the best solution depends on available space and
    amount of heat that needs removed. I'd not try to use
    another recessed fan if there wasn't a space constraint
    requiring it.

    kony, Jul 22, 2006

  2. Talal Itani

    kony Guest

    It's not reliable. All of the known premiere fan
    manufacturers are more conservative with their ratings. So
    we'd be contrasting multi billion dollar fan manufacturers
    putting fans in mission critical systems from computers to
    airplanes to hospital equipment), and on the other hand a
    small PC manufacturer that doesn't make fans at all, merely
    gets them from a third party.

    Further, on the product page we see the following:

    "MTBF: 150,000 hours
    * 150,000 hours of MTBF is measured under the 25C (77F)
    ambient temperature.
    * MTBF of normal ball bearing Fan: 50,000 hours
    * MTBF of normal sleeve bearing Fan: 20,000 hours "

    These are clearly deceptive.

    1) The MTBF is only at 25C and goes down quickly at higher
    temp. It's not hard at all to have a higher temp, 25C is
    about average room temp, not heated chassis air temp.

    2) MTBF of a normal dual ball bearing fan is between
    50-100K hours, so IF only one number is given it would be
    75K. They fail to mention that as temp goes up and sleeve
    bearing (including S-FDB type) MTBF goes down quickly, ball
    bearing MTBF does not. In short, they're playing with the
    numbers to suggest the product is better than it is. Beware
    of companies that do this instead of providing ALL of the
    information.

    3) Their picture of the bearing is quite telling. There's
    nothing special about it, it's merely a semi-sealed (until
    it starts wearing) bearing with a larger oil reservoir than
    some (again until it starts wearing, then there will be oil
    loss as with any other).

    Finally, a spec for MTBF for a bearing is only as good as
    the load on it! If you take a *good* bearing and put a
    poorly balanced fan assembly around it, or subject the force
    in another uneven fashion, that MTBF rating is shot_to_hell.

    kony, Jul 22, 2006

  3. Talal Itani

    John Doe Guest

    A babbling troll who says that fluid dynamic bearings are the same
    as sleeve bearings. Apparently the troll doesn't even know that
    modern high-performance hard drives are made with fluid dynamic
    bearings. Apparently this troll is just clueless.

    From: kony <spam spam.com>
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
    Subject: Re: Why Pentium?
    Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:33:31 -0400
    References: <4hkr8hF2bseU1 individual.net> <kHNvg.4362$oj5.1511399 news.siol.net> <Xns9806854A4F3580123456789 207.115.17.102> <2jSvg.4371$oj5.1512740 news.siol.net> <Xns9806ABC3D3F3B0123456789 207.115.17.102> <qod0c29i4eqs0t0gtffi4kei8orb2rvqma 4ax.com> <Xns98073F2E715D30123456789 207.115.17.102> <75k1c2d3k9r0k5g9hakhcgv4tn84udi8v3 4ax.com> <Xns980796E51DC2B0123456789 207.115.17.102> <Xns9807A1DFF9CD10123456789 207.115.17.102> <TMydnWvfHp6e3FzZnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d giganews.com>

    John Doe, Jul 22, 2006
  4. Talal Itani

    kony Guest

    Clueless one, if I didn't know that I wouldn't have ALREADY
    MENTIONED IT IN THIS THREAD.

    I'll be content letting you pay a premium for crap generic
    fans though, whatever makes you happy.

    kony, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Talal Itani

    kony Guest

    The difference is a marketing department.

    kony, Jul 22, 2006
  6. Correct. Anyone suggesting otherwise lacks experience in these things.
    Cast your mind back 10-15 years where it was relatively common to hook
    up a single machine to several dumb terminals for UNIX use. The machines
    at the time could easily support 30-40+ users on serial lines, often at
    higher baud rates than 9600. Bear in mind we're talking about 386 or
    486 processors with 8450 or possibly 16450 UARTs if you weren't lucky
    enough to have an intelligent serial card.

    Andrew Smallshaw, Jul 22, 2006
  7. Talal Itani

    Lee Waun Guest

    i no longer care why every single post you write starts out with, 'this
    troll' but you just are a nuisance so into the kill file you go.

    Lee Waun, Jul 25, 2006
  8. Talal Itani

    Lee Waun Guest

    If you say anything he doesn't agree with then you get labelled a troll by
    him.

    Just killfile him and be done with it.

    Lee Waun, Jul 25, 2006
  9. Talal Itani

    Miske Guest

    Intel had bigger production of processors. In that time they made
    contracts with big pc-produce companies. Now You can read abot ome
    companies offering AMD based computers, because of AMD's FAB36 - they
    increased production so they can satify the price and quantity demands.
    There is always posibility to bild you own pc with processor of Your
    choise.

    PS
    Sorry for mispelling. English is not my primar language

    Miske, Jul 27, 2006