    Might the fact that my old phone has a power source for its answering
    be boosting something?

    thank you

    piersstanding, Feb 25, 2006

  2. piersstanding

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Define "doesn't work" - is the phone totally dead, does it work but not
    ring, what..?

    I suspect it may well be the cable you are using, be aware that there are
    many variants of RJ11<>RJ11 cables, not all of which are wired the same. I
    assume the phone came with a normal lead with a UK plug on it..? Plug this
    into the adaptor that should have came with the adaptor and plug that into
    the adaptor.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 25, 2006

  3. piersstanding

    Ian Guest

    Hi

    There may well be two problems here

    1. BT do not on many phones cross the pairs so 2 and 5 of the BT style plug
    go to 2 and 5 of the RJ11
    This means a DEAD phone
    2. BT phones like to have a ring cct, SO you need to use the correct US-UK
    adaptors* with the ring cct i them

    Ian (* I do sell them, See www.cyber-cottage.co.uk/shop for details)

    Ian, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Even though an RJ-11 has only 4 connectors? (an RJ-12 has 6).
    No it doesn't it means he has the wrong cable.
    He'd still get a dial-tone.

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Thanks guys. The answer was not all RJ11s are created equal, and that
    by fitting a proper BT/USA adaptor we solved the problem.

    piers

    piersstanding, Feb 26, 2006