    That leaves: Nikon, Canon, Kodak, Panasonic, Pentax as the only
    choices.

    PS: why is CF used in DSLRs instead of SD?

    Mr.Bolshoyhuy, Sep 7, 2006

  2. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    pltrgyst Guest

    Casio is sold everywhere I look at cameras, including Best Buy and CompUSA.
    Greater capacity, but slrs are starting to go SD.

    -- Larry

    pltrgyst, Sep 7, 2006

  3. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    DHB Guest

    SD has largely replaced CF in many consumer P&S lines mainly
    for 2 reasons:

    <1> SD flash cards are smaller which is a significant advantage to
    using them in small & ultra thin cameras.

    <2> The main reason is that SD flash cards are *Idiot/fool/mistake
    proof*! By this I mean to say that it's possible to insert a CF into
    a camera or memory card reader sideways & if forced, damage 1 or more
    of the 50 pins inside the camera or reader.

    You can't fit an SD card in sideways & if you manage to get it
    in upside down & or backwards, it simply won't work but neither the
    camera, reader or card will be damaged. Thus possible problems are
    prevented for both the manufacturers & the consumers.

    Most DSLR's need both fast & high capacity flash memory &
    until recently this was almost the exclusive domain of CF cards. Now
    that SD cards have just reached 8GB, we may begin to see more DSLRs
    moving over to SD or (I hope) CF & SD slots within the DSLR.

    This is like the best of both worlds where you can select the
    primary flash card slot & have the camera automatically switch to the
    other if the 1st fills up. The camera would warn you that it's
    switched & you can either stop & change out the card of choice or
    continue on until there is a break in the action so you don't miss
    capturing something because you *had to* change cards.

    Just my opinion but I think you will find that the logic is
    sound & I hope most DSLR manufacturers see it the same way.

    Last point on having both CF & SD slots in a DSLR manufacture
    like Canon is that it would allow the same SD cards to be used in both
    their P&S & DSLR cameras for customers that own both.

    My Olympus C7070WZ has both a CF slot & xD slot & I can select
    to switch between the 2 with a single button press on the camera.
    It's not an automatic roll over but it's a lot faster than swapping CF
    cards, especially if it happens when there is action you don't want to
    miss. Not a big fan of xD cards but they work & I use them in both my
    Olympus C7070WZ & Fuji F11 & it helps that they are now available in
    2GB.

    Hope this helps answer your last question.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Sep 7, 2006
  4. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Rob Guest

    I for one thought this was great information. Thank you for telling it.

    Rob

    Rob, Sep 7, 2006
  5. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    SimonLW Guest

    The digital market is highly competitive. As prices dropped and new and
    better models were introduced, it is very hard for companies to make a
    profit if they didn't already have a strong foothold. The market is
    saturated with a large selection of models. Many wisely decided to exit that
    market altogether.

    In 2003 Canon began the dSLR craze with the low priced dRebel. Now with low
    and mid ranged dSLRs highly competitive, We saw the transfer of the Minolta
    brand to Sony and Pentax and Samsung working together to stay viable.

    As far as the cards, the market is so strong to allow for several formats.
    Price and capacity of CF will keep it around. It is plenty small enough for
    pro oriented cameras. SD, IMHO, is the best format right now. Plenty small
    for compact cameras and capacities well beyond the GB range. It also has a
    compatible mini version.
    -S

    SimonLW, Sep 7, 2006
  6. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    m Ransley Guest

    I dont know where you shop, Casio is popular and sold most anywhere,
    Polaroid is cheap and at my pharmacy, Epson is very expensive so not in
    demand but I can easily find it. JVC camcorders are at Best Buy. Big
    chains cant carry all brands, just the most popular.

    m Ransley, Sep 7, 2006
  7. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Marvin Guest

    <snip>
    There is a rule, developed at General Electric, that only
    the top three companies in any market are profitable. The
    logic is that the smaller companies have to spend too high a
    percentage of their sales income on R&D and marketing, just
    to keep up. Smaller companies sometimes survive by carving
    out new markets with innovations that can be protected by
    patents. Others persist on hope, as long as that lasts. A
    few make super-premium products to sell at very high cost,
    sometimes products that people buy for conspicuous consumption.

    The bigger a company is, the harder it is for them to change
    when new technology changes hte nature of the market, which
    has happened in photography. There are some classic
    examples. For example, not one of the companies that used
    to make vacuum tubes for electronics made the transition to
    semiconductors.

    Marvin, Sep 7, 2006
  8. Except that Kodak and Fuji make quite a lot digital cameras. And a
    significant fraction of the companies that made analog cameras also
    produce(d) digital cameras.

    Philip Homburg, Sep 7, 2006
  9. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    bruin70 Guest

    i like their printer
    i like theiraudio players

    i like their cell phones
    i love their microwaves
    i love their gigabeat

    bruin70, Sep 8, 2006
  10. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    QX Guest

    Konica-Minolta (KMMI) is very active with their line of Digital &
    Computed Radiography products for the medical market. I use their
    Regius-IM/XPress CR systems at work and it's really awesome as far as
    image quality, speed, and user friendliness.
    http://kmmi.konicaminolta.us/

    QX, Sep 8, 2006
  11. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    QX Guest

    Correction:
    Make that Konica-Minolta Medical Imaging (KMMI).

    QX, Sep 8, 2006
  12. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Stewy Guest

    Unfortunately they cheat you on every cart you buy.
    Steer clear of their VHS/DVD/HDD combos, though

    Stewy, Sep 9, 2006
  13. It is alleged that Philip Homburg claimed:
    And some have transitioned almost entirely to digital. Didn't Nikon
    dump the entire middle-range on film cameras this year, keeping only
    the el-cheapos and high-ends?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." - George W.
    Bush, November 2005 re: describing illegal immigrants

    Jeffrey Kaplan, Sep 9, 2006
  14. It is alleged that Mr.Bolshoyhuy claimed:
    I got a Casio camera at Ritz only a few months ago. They had about a
    half-dozen models on display. I think they had some Ricohs as well.
    I've never seen a Kyocera camera, ever. Nor JVC or Toshiba. From what
    I've seen, out on the fringes of things, Minolta has been a slowly
    dying brand ever since they failed to make it in the autofocus SLR
    market, eventually being acquired by Konica, and now apparently Sony(!)
    if Sony's new DSLR is any indication.
    I think xD was supposed to be the "even smaller form factor"
    replacement to SD and just never really caught on. IOW, it's not a
    proprietary format, it's just widely used. MemoryStick, however...
    that's the main reason why I eventually replaced my Sony ultracompact
    with the Casio. And then discovered that its speed and picture quality
    means I can use it to also replace my Sony regular-compact.
    Size and speed would be my guess. Until very recently, SD couldn't
    touch CF capacities, and likewise the speed issue is only recently
    getting even. Plus, DSLRs have the physical size to hold a CF card and
    the compacts don't.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Ambassador Delenn remains indisposed." "Indisposed? She's in a
    cocoon!" "Yes." (Lennier and Amb. Mollari, B5 "Revelations")

    Jeffrey Kaplan, Sep 9, 2006
  15. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    John Turco Guest

    Marvin wrote:

    Hello, Marvin:

    Are you sure about this? I find it hard to believe, that no tube
    manufacturer made the "transition to transistors!" <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 11, 2006
  16. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    John Turco Guest

    Unfortunately they cheat you on every cart you buy.
    Steer clear of their VHS/DVD/HDD combos, though[/QUOTE]

    Hello, Stewy:

    So sad, but true, about Epson!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 11, 2006
  17. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Yes - Phillips (of Eindhoven) used to make valves (Mullard Ltd was the
    subsidiary in the UK) and then made transistors.

    Neil Ellwood, Sep 11, 2006
  18. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    ASAAR Guest

    Although I can't say for sure, I'd guess that Raytheon made both.
    Fairchild made memory chips but I don't know if they ever made
    tubes. RCA made tubes, I believe, and I know that they produced
    computer chips. Their early COSMAC 4-bit cpu with its innovative
    architecture was one of the first.

    ASAAR, Sep 11, 2006
  19. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Paul J Gans Guest

    I think that the point was that dominance moved to other
    companies. RCA, which was the industry giant, basically
    sank without a trace in spite of some feeble efforts in
    producing chips.

    The early chip leader in the US was Texas Instruments which
    produced a full line of ICs back in the days when a CPU
    board might contain about 100 chips. Then they too lost
    the lead.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 12, 2006
  20. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    ASAAR Guest

    That's a valid point. If only it was the one that was made. :)

    And another maker of mini and micro computers, and I was once
    interested in their 99000 microcomputer chip set. Aren't they still
    one of the larger producers of DSPs, or have they lost the lead
    there as well?

    ASAAR, Sep 12, 2006