Why is my Mozilla so damn slow?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Jukka Hellen, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Jukka Hellen

    Jukka Hellen Guest

    I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one thing
    for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my computers. I have
    one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it with win2k also) and one
    PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using Mozilla 1.4 now but I have tried
    almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.

    Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using Firebird
    for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark olders , the
    folders open about 1sec after :( In Opera and Konqueror they open
    immediately.

    Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as Mozillas

    Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages but
    the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had chewinggum
    sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also ;) This is mostly when I
    use drag n' drop to move text.

    Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus are
    really quick in both Win and Lin.

    Jukka Hellen, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Jukka Hellen

    dantu Guest

    Jukka

    Does your system meet the minimum requirements for Mozilla?
    Operating system Windows 98 Second Edition
    Windows Millennium Edition
    Windows NT 4.0
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Processor Pentium 233 MHz (or faster)
    RAM 64 MB
    Free hard disk space^†
    <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#note-freedisk>
    26 MB

    Are you running any other programs in the background?

    Are you sharing the same profile between Mozilla and
    Firebird/Thunderbird? if so, dont. Use separate profiles for each
    Take a look at your bookmarks file, is it of a large size? This is the
    result of sharing profiles.

    Create a new profile for each, and use them exclusively with that program
    If the speed improves greatly with the new profile, then you have found
    the problem.

    dantu, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Jukka Hellen

    Jukka Hellen Guest

    Yup my system meets those requirements.
    Yup I'm running programs in the background but I have them running when
    I'm using Opera too but that doesn't seem to complain. I have tried
    Konqueror in Linux too and it seems to be speedy.
    It seems to be using different profiles. One for Mozilla and one for
    Phoenix. My bookamarks.html was just 40Kb so it wasn't that big.
    I haven't found the right medicine yet :(

    Jukka Hellen, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Jukka Hellen

    dantu Guest

    Have you tried a new profile?