Why is MS Networking so much slower on XP than 98?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry Rivers, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    I have two computers, hooked together via a router so I can
    share files between the two computers and also share a cable
    modem. Until recently, both computers ran Win 98 SE. I used
    standard Windows Networking, no commercial network products.

    PC-to-PC network performance has always been very good for
    file copies across the net , browsing with Windows Explorer,
    opening large music files across the network, etc.

    Two days ago, I did a clean install of Windows XP Pro on my
    computer and installed all the automatic updates from
    Microsoft. Again, using standard MS networking, I set up file
    sharing between my two PCs.

    I've noticed that since installing Win XP, network speed has
    dropped *way* down, to maybe 1/10 what it was when I ran Win
    98.

    A few examples: 1) Use Win Explorer to browse a folder on my
    other PC containing 4300+ JPG files took 40 seconds to bring
    up the list of files, it used to take only 5-7 seconds with
    Win 98. 2) Copy 300 JPG files totaling 67.4MB took 49 seconds
    but used to take only about 10 seconds for an equivalent file
    transfer. 3) Do a Search (Win 98 Find) across the network
    looking for a simple string in file names used to take 30-45
    seconds when both PCs ran Win 98. Now, with Win XP, a similar
    search takes 4-5 minutes.

    No hardware has changed on either computer. NICs are 10/100
    and the router is 10/100. The Win XP PC processor is 1.6ghz,
    the Win 98 processor is 1.2ghz.

    Since installing Win XP, I have done *no* custimization,
    tweaks, optimization, changes to services, or anything else
    that could explain the much slower network speed.

    Can anyone give me some hints as to what I should change in
    Win XP to optimize my network speed? For example, are there
    any MS Knowledge Base articles concerning slow network speed
    (I searched the KB but didn't find anything).

    If you need more information on my system and/or what I am
    trying to use it for, I will provide all I can.

    Thanks for your help.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Jerry Rivers

    Boomer Guest

    This is all I can offer...

    alt.windows-xp
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.*
    microsoft.public.*

    http://www.dougknox.com/
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/xp_fixes.html
    http://www.aumha.org/
    http://www.tomsterdam.com/
    http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/hottips.shtml
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/
    http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/winxp/
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    http://www.pcbuyersguide.com/software/system/WinXP-tips.html
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_tips.asp
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/
    http://members.aol.com/axcel216/wxp.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm

    Boomer, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Jerry Rivers, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Jerry Rivers

    Boomer Guest

    You're welcome. :)

    Boomer, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Jerry Rivers

    marcus Guest

    Make sure they are all set to 100 and do not do "auto-detect"

    regards
    Marcus

    marcus, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Jerry Rivers

    gb Guest

    Out of curiosity, is your name Marcus Williamson?

    gb, Dec 31, 2003