    Which is why Steve is more interested in a format winner OR ceasefire as
    soon as possible than most.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 22, 2006

  2. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    Derek Janssen:
    What do previews have to do with whether consumers buy blu-ray for their
    kids? Nothing.

    Mac Cool, Dec 23, 2006

  3. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    Joshua Zyber:
    .... and mpeg 1, mpeg4, h261, & h263; it's a shallow gene pool.

    Mac Cool, Dec 23, 2006
  4. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    JoeBloe:
    LOL, is this the point where you ball your fists, stamp your feet and take
    your ball home? You made a false statement, don't be a baby about it.

    Mac Cool, Dec 23, 2006
  5. kushu

    GMAN Guest

    Other than the fact that you will not see those titles for HD-DVD.

    GMAN, Dec 23, 2006
  6. kushu

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Please explain to me how your answer has anything to do with the
    question that was asked in the preceeding sentence.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Um, actually-requested titles *not* selling on HD-DVD while putting more
    sales in the Blu camp, thus:
    A) leading analysts to think that Blu has "already won", not to mention
    B) sending the message that the more powerful studio/corporate "cabals"
    are behind Blu, giving the impression that HD is now the "struggling
    little upstart" that will eventually lose the battle, and Bill Gates
    trying to help it (which he hasn't really so far, except for the exact
    same game-box thing) won't improve the "running behind" image any either?

    ....Also, any parents already thinking of jumping off for that home
    theater purchase won't be doing it because of "Tomb Raider".

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 23, 2006
  8. kushu

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Huh. It's funny then that HD DVD software has outsold Blu-ray software
    by a factor of 3 to 1.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 24, 2006
  9. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    Derek Janssen:
    No one is calling anything yet, but if they did, they would call it for
    HDDVD.
    Which happens to be outselling Blu.
    Which is drastically increasing market penetration of HDDVD and as you
    know, everyone who is buying the add-on is buying it to watch HDDVDs which
    cannot be said for the PS3.
    Maybe some day if people start buying Blus, there might be a faint chance
    of this 'image'; however, you have to sell product first.
    And they won't do it for Tarzan or Little Mermaid which they are still
    buying on VHS and as much I would like to own Pirates2 in HD, no one in
    their right mind is going to spend the hefty $$ just for that one movie.

    Mac Cool, Dec 24, 2006
  10. Up till now--and before Disney started putting out "Lion King"--the only
    "real" movies mainstream movie fans wanted to buy (most of them Warner)
    *had* been on HD...
    And when you've got Warner planning to defect to dual-release those same
    titles to Blu next year (as soon as they can figure out how to adapt the
    Batman Begins picture-commentary thing)...that don't look good for the
    war morale. -_-

    (Not that there's any less Disney/Apple/Sony/Toshiba "stubbornness" on
    the HD side, either:
    If you're wondering why Universal is still Loyal HD--and, at the moment,
    the last remaining HD-committed studio--consider that Universal, through
    NBC/MSNBC, is still tied to Mr. Gates...And that's pretty much all
    that's keeping them there.)

    Derek Janssen (hey, I'm no happier about this than you are, but I'd like
    this thing to be over, too!)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 24, 2006
  11. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    Derek Janssen:
    LOL. So Blus success hinges on Lion King... gonna be a long, cold winter
    for Blu-ray.

    Mac Cool, Dec 24, 2006
  12. (...Oh, and that there hadn't really been many Blu-Ray players ready for
    sale up to that point kinda pushed the HD-title numbers up a bit, too.) ;)

    Derek Janssen (heh, forgot that part)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 24, 2006
  13. kushu

    Mark Jones Guest

    I have seen one of each type of player. The Blu-ray player
    was $1000 and the HD-DVD player was $500. I could
    just about convince myself to buy the HD-DVD player,
    but the Blu-ray player is way too expensive for me.

    Mark Jones, Dec 24, 2006
  14. It's called the Killer App--Ie., the one "normal" exclusive you buy it
    for that you weren't really thinking of buying the "techie" thing
    without if it didn't have it, and it if it's not Disney movies, it sure
    as hell wasn't "Talladega Nights".
    (It would have been "Wow, you can play it with a video game!" like it
    was for DVD, but that playing field turned out to be too even.)

    For HD, the Killer App was "Batman Begins", and well, looks like they're
    about to lose their exclusive on that.
    Oh, well--There's still always "King Kong" to singlehandedly rescue an
    entire industry.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 24, 2006
  15. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    Derek Janssen:
    So Blu needs a 'Killer App' to justify the price? You know that phrase
    doesn't work very well with a movie. Maybe it works with Blu-ray since
    that format isn't really doing any of the whizbang things Sony promised.
    Perhaps they do need a 'Killer App'. Well, keep holding your breath.

    Mac Cool, Dec 24, 2006
  16. ....EVERYTHING needs a Killer App to justify the price.
    That's how they get our attention.
    Oh, I dunno--
    Try saying "The Matrix" to an old-school DVD fan. :)

    Derek Janssen (oh, sure, you *could* have waited for the tape to come
    out...)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 24, 2006
  17. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    HD DVD, DVD, and BluTurd are NOT "industries". They are, at best,
    niche segments of the consumer electronics industry, which is itself a
    segment of the electronics industry.

    Oh, and neither format needs rescue. Though distrust, and disdain
    for Sony's practices may well cinch the market niche for HD DVD.

    JoeBloe, Dec 25, 2006
  18. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    I told you before, you stupid twit, filter file edit session
    announcements are more retarded than filter files themselves are.
    Grow up, ditz... you ain't all that, nor will you ever be.

    JoeBloe, Dec 25, 2006
  19. kushu

    Goro Guest

    Well, there's always the PS3 ($600), if that's your main need.
    Apparently, the PS3's Bluray playback is better than the $1k players.
    And these days, it looks like the PS3s are well available (just saw a
    big old stack at the local BestBuy).

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 26, 2006
  20. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    Geena Phillips:
    Quoting trolls sort of destroys the purpose of everyone plonking them.

    Mac Cool, Dec 27, 2006