    exceeds flash memory capacity and performance by an order of magnitude
    at least. A read only version of this would be ideal for movie
    distribution, and probably have a low cost to the consumer.

    Company Man, Dec 18, 2006

  2. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    Maybe in your living room. Different people make their compromises
    in different places.

    There were folks just like you saying the same thing about wide
    screen displays not too many years ago.
    Anyone that knows anything about electronics and or high end audio
    video set ups.

    You may as well buy the GE $99 "all in one" stereo outfit, and
    forget about more than two channels altogether, eh?
    You're a little off in this post, and not just on this alleged
    "stat".

    The same crowd that buys BMW or Mercedes or the like buys high end
    audio gear, and a $200 DVD player is probably not a compromise they'll
    take, when the real deal isn't that much more, and holds its value
    much better.

    JoeBloe, Dec 19, 2006

  3. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    Bullshit. JVC made ALL the tape transports for years for the VHS
    format. The state of the electronics world at that time was
    different. The audio chips in the high end stuff is VERY high end,
    and you won't be getting the dumbed down version of it to perform
    similarly for a LONG time.

    Have fun... good luck. If you want to play... you got to pay.
    It's that simple.

    JoeBloe, Dec 19, 2006
  4. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    My PSP shows a pretty high res small screen wide format flic on a
    one Gig file/stick.

    An array like those would be cool though!

    JoeBloe, Dec 19, 2006
  5. kushu

    AZ Nomad Guest

    DVD players started at just under a grand and didn't drop below $300 for
    three years. Now can be had for less than $35. Perfect example of expensive
    technology that is now dirt cheap.

    HI-FI VCRS were over $1000 for 2 years, didn't drop below $300 for another
    6 years. Perfect example of expensive technology that can now be had for
    under $100.

    CDS were over $1000 for 2 years, and didn't drop below $300 for another 3

    AZ Nomad, Dec 19, 2006
  6. kushu

    Dan Luke Guest

    And how much of the market does that comprise? Enough to buy millions of
    DVDs a year? I doubt it.

    Not I. I appreciate quality equipment, but most people don't give a rat's
    ass.
    Got any stat's *you* can back up?
    And how big is that crowd? Big enough to interest Netflix, Blockbuster,
    Paramount and Disney in betting the farm on Blu-ray or HD-DVD?

    I know several BMW and Mercedes owners. None of them could tell you the
    difference between 480P and 1080P, nor would they care. High end A/V is a
    small niche market, not big enough by itself to support DVD content
    suppliers. Unless hi def DVD gets cheap and popular soon, it will flop.

    Dan Luke, Dec 19, 2006
  7. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    They ain't real bright then.

    JoeBloe, Dec 19, 2006
  8. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    You're full of shit. A single visit to ANY place that sells
    consumer electronics gear puts your bullshit remark to shame.

    JoeBloe, Dec 19, 2006
  9. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    I guess you are in the "ain't real bright" boat along with your
    neighbors for spouting that one.

    JoeBloe, Dec 19, 2006
  10. Derek Janssen, Dec 19, 2006
  11. kushu

    Dan Luke Guest

    Have a happy holiday season.

    Dan Luke, Dec 19, 2006
  12. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    Yeah, right. If HD formats are not the next step, what is, ya big
    dope?

    I have seen a lot of hardware come and go over the last several
    decades, and I don't think you are working with all available
    information.

    I suppose you consider the Laser Disc to have been a failure as
    well, eh?

    Go get some numbers on the unit sales and come back when you have a
    clue. Don't forget to notice the prices those units sold for too.

    JoeBloe, Dec 19, 2006
  13. kushu

    Bill's News Guest

    You haven't really thought about that to which you are
    responding, have you?

    Bill's News, Dec 21, 2006
  14. kushu

    Bill's News Guest

    Sorry, I just read more of your responses.

    Bill's News, Dec 21, 2006
  15. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    JoeBloe:
    HD-DVD add on for the 360 is $200 and selling out.

    Mac Cool, Dec 22, 2006
  16. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    Derek Janssen:
    VHS is still very popular for children's movies, I doubt they are going to
    be leaping to Blu-ray.

    Mac Cool, Dec 22, 2006
  17. kushu

    Mac Cool Guest

    Derek Janssen:
    They are both variations of MP4.

    Mac Cool, Dec 22, 2006
  18. Umm...okay, I must have hallucinated that preview Disney stuck onto
    their "Cars" and "Pirates 2" DVD. 0_0?

    (No, it was weird, it looked like there was this whole thing, and at the
    end, I'd thought it said:
    "Coming to Disney Blu-Ray:
    - Beauty & the Beast
    - Aladdin
    - Lion King
    - Finding Nemo
    - Snow Dogs
    - Father of the Bride
    - Sky High
    - Remember the Titans
    - Herbie: Fully Loaded
    - National Treasure
    - Around the World in 80 Days
    - Pirates of the Caribbean
    ....And much more!
    http://www.DisneyBluRay.com "

    ....Darndest thing.)

    Derek Janssen (or maybe it was just that undigested bit of beef and
    underdone potato I'd had that night)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 22, 2006
  19. kushu

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Only in the sense that both are evolutions of basic MPEG2.

    Microsoft's VC-1 is an independent codec based on their previous Windows
    Media 9, not a variation on MPEG4. AVC/H.264 is the MPEG4 codec.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 22, 2006
  20. kushu

    JoeBloe Guest

    The "HD DVD add on" for an XBox 360 is a PC disc reader.

    An HD DVD player for a home theater is a high end audio video
    playback device that feeds you display as well as your audio system
    highly refined signals.

    The XBOX 360 will not playback an HD DVD disc with the same quality
    that the medium was designed for.

    In other words, without the stream processing required of the
    medium, one doesn't get the added features of the medium.

    So yeah, dipshit, any idiot DVD shitbox maker out there can make one
    and any DOPE can buy it cheap, but it WILL NOT have the features the
    medium is designed to provide.

    So yeah, if you want to take a step down from the pinnacle the medium
    has been created for, you can buy the shit players that may flood the
    market.

    If you have ANY brains at all, however, and you have a decent home
    theater setup, you will want a player that can deliver the goods to
    the system properly.

    It really is that simple.

    JoeBloe, Dec 22, 2006