    capability than Canon G2's CCD. But why film scanning can't be as
    straightforward as the Canon G2 if I just want an acceptible result as
    the starting point?

    Einton Newstein, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Do you understand the use of levels and curves, unless you do
    your in a point and shoot world......regardless of how you take or
    capture the picture.

    Paul Attreides, Jul 24, 2003

  3. A little, but perhaps not as much as you do. Sounds like you are the
    right person for the question.

    Could you please share some of your knowledge? After all, in this
    world, there are a lot more point-and-shooters.

    Einton Newstein, Jul 25, 2003
  4. There are many "Voodoo and chickenblood" aspects to film scanning that
    make it both deeply frustrating and highly rewarding. It takes time to
    learn and understand, and seems overwhelmingly tedious at first.

    All I can suggest is practice and learn. It is hard to teach or
    explain.

    You are encouraged to visit my photo site @
    http://www.richardsfault.com/photos.html?button=PHOTOS

    I have numerous examples of scans of slides, color, and B&W negatives
    made with a "cheap" HP-3970 flatbed. Sometimes the results seem too
    good for the scanner, other times they stink!

    With modest scanners, mainstream color negative film like Kodacolor
    seems to work best. Slides and high-end negative films like Fuji Reala
    are more difficult because of darker, denser images.

    I have been able to get very good results with traditional B&W (Tri-X,
    Ilford, etc. negatives) with a little practice.

    Some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I think it's all...

    Richard's fault!

    Visit the Sounds of the cul-de-sac at www.richardsfault.com

    richardsfault, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Exactly. However, the overwhelmingly tedious bit remains true forever.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Amen!

    And I have at least another 10,000 to go. <sigh>

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Jul 27, 2004