Why don't they just release a Torrent file...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009.

  1. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009

  2. I'm not sure whether that's the official public beta or an earlier build.

    In any case, many people are avoiding the torrents and trying to stick
    to "legitimate" channels, without much success (see some of the reader
    comments to above). An official torrent file would lay their worries (and
    the load on Microsoft's servers) to rest.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Then we have

    Microsoft has postponed broad availability of the first Windows 7 beta in
    order to keep up with anticipated download demand.

    Unquote

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/10/winows_7_beta_delay/

    That has to be sentence of the month. Far better than some of the stuff I
    read in this ng. ;-

    Gordon, Jan 10, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mutley Guest

    Unfortunatly I'm going to be away for the next two weeks so by the
    time I get to install in the 2.5Mil keys will be well and truely
    gone.. :-(

    Mutley, Jan 10, 2009
  5. By the way, Firefox managed last year to set the Guinness World Record for
    most-downloaded program in 24 hours. And do it with only a tiny fraction of
    the resources available to Microsoft.

    What were you saying about "pulling power"...?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    And how many were just downloading it again to make the record rather
    then being first time users actually interested in trying it out?

    Richard, Jan 10, 2009
  7. The one written by the vendor struggling to cope with less than one-third of
    that number of downloads.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  8. You were the one who brought up "pulling power". Are you trying to suggest
    that a bigger download equates to greater "pulling power"?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  9. Look up above, Bobsie. It's clear as day who said "pulling power".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  10. Get the torrent from an official site. It's such a tiny file, even
    Microsoft's servers ought to be able to cope with that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  11. And another thing <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3317>: it's ironic
    that Microsoft is distributing its new software in a format that Windows
    doesn't actually know how to handle. You have to buy or download some
    third-party utility or other before you can make a DVD out of it.

    And the sheer size of the download just seems unnecessary. Linux distros
    long ago figured out how to offer much more full-featured installers in
    just a few hundred megabytes. How? Because all the rest remains in official
    repositories on the Internet, to be pulled down only as users ask for it.

    This is something Microsoft desperately needs to learn how to do: create a
    modular, agile, extensible operating system. The days of gargantuan,
    lumbering monoliths are past; the fact that Windows 7 seems to be just
    another one of these does not bode well.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Robert, you jest. Ms Windows is getting all condensated.

    The point is the Firefox is OSS and has kicked MSIE6 on its way past,
    Google's baby Chrome has joined the race.

    Excellent stuff for the media and the user.

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Roberts, you are drunk.

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Never argue with a fool, for then there will be two fools

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    And you do not from Ms Windows?

    Has not mininova also got a reputation to uphold

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    let us not also forget the tracking, the load of which is very, very light
    compared to serving the binary.

    Not metioned to date on this ng, is the point that Ms Windows only wishes
    2.5 million downloads. I'll ask her why, next time I see her. After all it
    does expire in 6 mths so what the heck if 456 million people download it?

    Nevermind, Ms Windows is getting old, she is not up with the modern way of
    doing things

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    But the bottom line wil be

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2009
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2009
  19. I understood "pulling power" to refer to the number of users, i.e. the
    number of downloads.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Oh good, the battle field exists. No longer the FUD field.

    Ms Windows is feeling like a crack might be appearing.

    Windows 7 is nothing more than a re-spun Vista. Yes it will be better, and
    yes Ms Windows is *starting* to learn. Trouble is the road has forked.

    My money is on Ms Windows hanging onto all that she knows in a $ down world.
    The $ ironically.

    MSIE had all but all of the browswer desktop, after Netscape was "killed"
    off by intergration. However out ot Netsacpe came Mozilla and it was on the
    same path MSIE was. MSIE thought it had won so stopped. The rest is history.

    Even if you are ahead one must not stop.

    Gordon, Jan 12, 2009