    notice have a problem, reserving the good sensors for the D200's on
    up? Is it possible neither Sony nor Pentax will use defective ones?

    http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=2662&page=12

    RichA, Apr 8, 2011

  2. RichA

    Me Guest

    Probably more to do with (battery saving?) method used for pixel-binning
    for downsampling to HD video - that's where most of the problems seems
    to be reported (rather than for stills) in the few posts I read on that
    link. At least as annoying (IMO) is jiggly aliasing artifacts from poor
    downsampling with other dslr HD output. An affordable video cam with
    APS-c native 1080p sensor with appropriate AA filter would be nice.
    Does such a thing exist?
    I hope the next d*00 doesn't use a version of the D7000 sensor. Would
    be a retrograde step for Nikon to offer a camera in that range with a
    tighter crop ratio. Cutting the sensor size to save a few bucks might
    be okay at the lower end, but I'd be a bit pissed off if 10mm became
    11mm on my next "DX" nikon body.

    Me, Apr 9, 2011

  3. RichA

    Apteryx Guest

    I don't think you have to worry too much about that changing from 23.6mm
    x 15.8mm sensor to a 23.6mm x 15.6mm one.

    And I tend to assume that the 23.6mm x 15.6mm is the new Nikon DX
    standard. They don't usually chop and change their sensor sizes too
    often. With the D100 in 2002, Nikon introduced a sensor sized at 23.7mm
    x 15.6mm. The same size (though not the same sensor) was used in the
    D70, D70s, D2, D2X, D50, D40, D40x. Then they introduced a new size of
    23.6mm x 15.8mm in the D200, and used the same size for the D80, D60,
    D300, D90, D300s, D5000, and D3000 (there was an overlap between the new
    and old between the D200 and D80 (2006) and the D40x (2007)).

    Since introducing the 23.6mm x 15.6mm sized sensor in the D7000, they
    are now using it in the D5100.

    Apart from the Return Of The D100 Sensor Size in the 2007 D40x (they
    probably had a few lying around) the only oddity is the D3100.
    Introduced between the last 23.6 x 15.8 sensor camera and the first 23.6
    x 15.6 one, it has a 23.1mm x 15.4mm sensor. Time will tell whether that
    remains an oddity, or is the new standard size for D3xxx series cameras.

    Apteryx

    Apteryx, Apr 10, 2011
  4. RichA

    Apteryx Guest

    On 10/04/2011 12:12 p.m., Apteryx wrote:
    The same size (though not the same sensor) was used in the
    Ok, there was no D2. And the D2X (and D2Xs, D2H and D2Hs) had different
    sized sensors. The D2X (and I think the D2Xs) within the "normal" DX
    range at 23.7mm x 15.7mm), while the D2H and D2Hs were smaller, 23.3 x
    15.5 and 23.1 x 15.5, close to the present D3100.

    Apteryx

    Apteryx, Apr 10, 2011
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I doubt it, since the problem long predates video in DSLRs.

    RichA, Apr 10, 2011
  6. RichA

    Me Guest

    My bad. Don't know where I got the idea that Nikon had released other
    cameras (than the D3100) with smaller (than 1:1.5 crop) sensors.
    The difference between 23.6 and 23.1 mm isn't inconsequential. YMMV.

    Me, Apr 10, 2011
  7. RichA

    Me Guest

    I'm pretty sure that the size stated is for the effective pixels /
    imaging area.

    Me, Apr 11, 2011
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's a bigger number, so why not use it?
    it needs pixels around the periphery for black level, among other
    things.

    Guest, Apr 12, 2011
  9. RichA

    me Guest

    Through the years (D70/D200/D300) I've seen different raw converters
    also come up with different image sizes for a given camera.

    me, Apr 12, 2011
  10. RichA

    Me Guest

    Likewise, but I suspect that's just where they cut off the edges of the
    RGBG matrix in demosaicing.

    Me, Apr 12, 2011