  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Why doesn't most Microsoft's beta software not work on Windows 64bit Edition?

    Guest, Feb 16, 2006

  2. Guest

    Rick Guest

    Because they want to irritate you!

    Rick, Feb 16, 2006

  3. Guest

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Microsoft needs to test that most of their code is working on the 32 bit
    Windows. Once they do that, they will either release all versions of the
    product in 32 and 64 bit or they will offer a 64 bit beta first. It's up to
    Microsoft.

    Keep in mind that it won't be until Windows Vista that the x64 version is
    going to really go mainstream. Right now those of us that are using x64 are
    either enthusiasts or require the 64 bit for tasks that will without a doubt
    benefit from it such as video rendering.

    Microsoft has built in some backwards compatibility into the Windows x64
    though. They have Wow (windows on windows) which allows 32 bit applications
    to run in Windows x64. Of course those 32 bit applications that are still
    using a 16 bit installer won't install. There is a work around for those
    applications. You just need to use a 32 bit installer to get the
    application to install. Some new x64 users have run into problems where
    their 32 bit application either mostly works with some problems or lack of
    features or doesn't work at all. However, that list is very small and again
    it usually has to do with the software vendor that made that application
    using 16 bit installers or the application installs stuff deep into Windows
    that the 32 bit code simply can't work. An example of such applications are
    anti-virus software. Anti-virus software must be 64 bit in order to work
    100%.

    Torrey Lauer, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Dear Disgusted;

    Do your work for Sun or something?

    Guest, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    "Keep in mind that it won't be until Windows Vista that the x64 version is
    going to really go mainstream."

    I think that is my issue. They didn't go the whole mile with windows xp pro
    64-bit like they will with vista (and have done in the past). Usually I love
    microsoft products (which is why I so suprised at this). Microsoft has shown
    that they have the ability to release software that works great with both
    other software vendors and drivers but apparantly, this project did not get
    the full backing of microsoft and because of that I am out a little money (I
    didn't buy xp pro 32-bit but just bought 64-bit because I do do video stuff,
    flash stuff and because I was going from how microsoft usually does
    business---excellently.) So I have spend 299 for xp pro full edition, can't
    upgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit unless i buy an oem version whicih is porobably
    what i will do). So the bottom line is that this is not the usual way
    Microsoft release operating systems and this 'out of character' release has
    messed me up some.
    cg

    Guest, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Guest

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Apple maybe :)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Feb 16, 2006
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    lol

    Guest, Feb 16, 2006
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    No. I am usually a huge Microsoft supporter (except for how they overcharge
    for things). I am even an MCSE -- not that thats a bid deal but it does show
    how devoted I was.

    Guest, Feb 16, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    You are also implicitly assuming every 32-bit app that runs fine on 32-bit
    Windows is correctlt written.

    Many applications do not follow recommendations about how to install how to
    regsiter components etc and may apps call undocumented API functions and the
    like.

    How do you know that every 32-bit app you are having trouble with is 100%
    compliant?

    Just because code runs fine on one release of an OS, is no reason to assume
    that it is the OS at fault when one tries to run that code on a
    later/different release.

    In my opinion, unless you have strong evidence that these problemtaic apps
    are bug free, fully compliant with MS recommendations and do not call ANY
    undocumented functions or access any undocumented structures etc, then it is
    pure conjecture that Windows x64 is at fault.

    Should Microsoft strive to support apps that may violate guidelines and
    recommendations if in doing so, they limit their own freedom to architect
    their own OS?

    I'm not saying that some or even any of your apps are actually at fault, but
    unless you prove otherwise you really have no way of knowing if its the code
    or the OS?

    Guest, Feb 16, 2006
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest