Why does every one hate Microsoft

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Dana, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. Dana

    kurt wismer Guest

    were that entirely true (ie if the new kernel hooking API replaced *all*
    the functionality could get through ssdt hooking) then why do security
    vendors still complain about not having a way to perform those functions
    and why has microsoft promised to open up further access with additional
    API's?

    [snip]
    [sarcasm]
    oh yes, that must be it... the security vendors are wasting time and
    money (not to mention risking public humiliation) complaining about not
    having access to something they already have access to and microsoft,
    rather than carry out that humiliation against competitors who must
    clearly be trying to make microsoft look bad, chose to promise to give
    the security vendors what they need at some future date even though
    they've already given them what they need...

    so then the only real question is, what is microsoft going to give them
    in the future?
    [/sarcasm]

    kurt wismer, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Dana

    nemo_outis Guest

    (raincoater) wrote in

    It doesn't leap to mind (although I must admit I'm distracted - I'm busy as
    an expert witness all this week and am focussed on that).

    One great place to dig (chop?) is the Forest of Rhetoric:

    http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/silva.htm

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Dana

    erewhon Guest

    I know. I was just baiting :)

    erewhon, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Dana

    erewhon Guest

    Help me out, inquiring minds want to know . . .

    Aww.. You guys are no fun. I can't keep a straight face any longer.

    erewhon, Oct 30, 2006
  5. Dana

    erewhon Guest

    I'm busy as
    Cool - expertise in what?

    erewhon, Oct 30, 2006
  6. Dana

    Jim Watt Guest

    you are a master at it ...

    Jim Watt, Oct 30, 2006
  7. Dana

    nemo_outis Guest

    Engineering. Oil & Gas. Up here in the land of the blue-eyed sheiks,
    Alberta.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Oct 30, 2006
  8. Dana

    erewhon Guest

    Legal claims against Oil co's with broken pipelines?

    erewhon, Oct 31, 2006
  9. Dana

    B. Nice Guest

    So it seems they fixed some symptoms again. Not the underlying
    problem. At least, outpost still seems to have critical design bugs.
    There is a review of the new version 4 at http://www.matousec.com/

    /B. Nice

    B. Nice, Oct 31, 2006
  10. About all PFWs have the critical design feature^W bug that they allow
    restricted users to change the ruleset.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Oct 31, 2006
  11. About all PFWs have the critical design feature^W bug that they allow
    restricted users to change the ruleset.
    LOL, they're selling a leak-test for 40 ¤. I guess I already know it:

    for /r %i in (prefs.js) do echo
    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage","http://phone-home.org");>>"%~i"

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Oct 31, 2006
  12. Dana

    nemo_outis Guest

    Nope, whether construction of some pipelines was sufficiently advanced for
    them to be taxable.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Oct 31, 2006
  13. Dana

    sid Guest

    While your ignorance may indeed be blissful, you are nonetheless
    affected.

    According to the wording in the un-American Military Commissions
    Act of 2006, you could, upon the whim of a very ignorant and
    tyrannical Mr. Bush, be whisked away to an unknown prison and be
    held indefinitely without charge, simply because some anonymous
    individual has accused you, sans proof, of supporting terrorism.

    Your civil liberties are not "just fine"...

    Sid

    sid, Nov 2, 2006
  14. Dana

    sid Guest

    You bring your brain-washed ignorance from the political NGs
    to here? So tell me, Dana... what leads you to believe the FBI
    would see the kid's snitching as a prank?

    What if the so called "lefties" come to power? What's to stop
    them from dragging you off to prison indefinitely (thanks to
    Bush's thirst for unmitigated power) by convicting you (without
    habeas corpus, of course) of being un-American simply for
    being ignorant-- or brainwashed-- or for supporting the right-
    wing fascist's agenda!

    Tyranny works both ways, y'know!

    Sid

    sid, Nov 2, 2006
  15. Dana

    raincoater Guest

    Hello, nemo_outis!
    Hey Nemo. I've been wracking my brain trying to recall the proper name of
    the rhetorical device wherin one refers to one's opponent's defects by
    claiming to be 'too good' to do such a sordid thing...I won't mention
    Senator Jones's penchant for cavorting around in bra and panties as it
    would diminish from the seriousness of our purpose here...
    Can you help me?
    -raincoater

    raincoater, Mar 1, 2007