    (After all, it's not an optical mouse and it's not a wireless mouse).

    Perhaps someone out there has purchased such a Microsoft mouse and can
    tell us what the installation software does.

    wylbur37, Jan 18, 2005

  2. wylbur37

    Skeleton Man Guest

    Why does the Microsoft mouse require running software for
    The software just allows you to configure things like scrolling speed, custom
    buttons, etc.

    Regards,
    Chris

    Skeleton Man, Jan 18, 2005

  3. wylbur37

    Paul - xxx Guest

    wylbur37 composed the following;:
    The software doesn't need to be installed to use an MS wheel mouse.

    The software is for enhancements, so you can make the wheel, for
    instance, scroll complete pages, or change the number of lines it
    scrolls etc etc

    Paul - xxx, Jan 18, 2005
  4. wylbur37

    Mike Scott Guest

    There can be something "odd" about some mice. I've a machine that
    dual-boots win98 and FreeBSD. It has an A4Tech infrared mouse, that had
    s/ware to install for windows; I can't see that an infrared link (or
    wireless for that matter) should affect mouse operations; it just plugs
    into the usual mouse port. But the mouse works fine on windows, while
    FreeBSD/X11 doesn't seem to detect mouse operations. A real pain! (Oh,
    both work correctly with another mouse)

    Mike Scott, Jan 18, 2005
  5. wylbur37

    soup Guest

    wylbur37 popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
    said
    I have a Microsoft optical mouse that came with a CD
    have never installed this software just plugged in the
    mouse and away it went there are options to change
    how much the wheel scrolls,what the mouse pointer
    looks like, whether the butons are reversed etc.in in
    the mouse section of control panel (WinXP home).

    soup, Jan 18, 2005
  6. wylbur37

    Skeleton Man Guest

    There can be something "odd" about some mice. I've a machine that
    I've seen that myself.. had just a plain old PS/2 mouse which worked fine under
    windows, but went crazy under FreeBSD !

    Regards,
    Chris

    Skeleton Man, Jan 18, 2005