    Since caps are appropriate only as emphasis (i.e., equivalent to SHOUTING),
    and since shouting is one way to emphasize, then how come the old-timers on
    this ng emphasize the hard way, using asterisks?

    MayB, Nov 9, 2003

  2. MayB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    MayB said:
    *BECAUSE THEY CAN*
    I take it you mean "those" asterisks?
    They render the enclosed text "bold".

    Brian H¹©, Nov 9, 2003

  3. MayB

    Patrick Guest

    Have a look here (freebie);
    http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

    Patrick, Nov 9, 2003
  4. MayB

    MayB Guest

    Thank you, Patrick. It's not always easy to suffer the slings and arrows
    that accompany some responses. I learned from your reference.

    MayB, Nov 9, 2003
  5. MayB

    Mara Guest

    Actually, that isn't the reason some of us (tinu) "Old-Timers" do it.

    http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~claire/texts/netiquette.txt
    http://www.digitalspace.com/avatars/book/appendix/netiq.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/u94o (page 24)

    "It's just a question of personal preference, nothing more. And it isn't hard at
    all. It's also much easier to read, for people with certain vision problems."

    Mara, Nov 9, 2003
  6. MayB

    cw Guest

    You can indeed say in court that someone abducted your children. It
    is said frequently.

    cw, Nov 9, 2003
  7. MayB

    MayB Guest

    Thanks, Mara. I scrolled through all of u94o. Realized that all I know is
    a rather incomplete part of the appropriate wisdom. Makes me wonder if that
    little refresher wouldn't help some of the Old-Timers, as well.

    MayB, Nov 9, 2003
  8. MayB

    Richard Guest

    * causes "*text to be bold*" in certain newsreaders.
    _ causes "_underlining_"

    In mine I will see "/italics/" if you use / around the word.

    Richard, Nov 9, 2003
  9. MayB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    What makes you think the italics is restricted to "yours"?

    Brian H¹©, Nov 9, 2003
  10. MayB

    philo Guest

    if i use capital letters,
    my computer uses so much power, that the lights in my house dim

    if i use asterisks they merely blink slightly <g>

    but seriously it's merely a matter of shouting vs. emphasis

    cap. letters SHOUT

    while when you are speaking and want to *emphasize* something
    it's more of a pause and enunciate thing

    philo, Nov 9, 2003
  11. MayB

    Mara Guest

    Why?

    Google shows that you're a relative newbie to usenet. Some of the "Old-Timers"
    have been on for many years. You are certainly not going to force them, or
    anyone, to change what or how they post simply because you think it isn't right.
    That's why clients have killfiles. No one is going to care, so your choices are:

    1. Grow a thicker skin and get used to it;
    2. Use your killfile to delete posts from posters you don't want to read.

    It's that simple. Note: It also helps to learn to read headers - I understand
    that I was being forged in this group earlier. You'll find that trolls do that
    quite often - lacking the intelligence to form their own thoughts and ideas,
    they forge other poster's nics and addresses out of stupidity and jealousy. It's
    a real shame they don't have the simple intelligence to make a post on their
    own, but there you have it. :)

    "And it's as easily dealt with in your client as would-be moduhrators and
    evangelisers are."

    Mara, Nov 9, 2003
  12. MayB

    MayB Guest

    Mara - My comment re the old timers was not meant to be disparaging
    whatsoever. It was nothing more than an idle thought. BTW, it's
    interesting that Google can reveal the history of a ng client. Would you
    enlighten me on how that's done? Thanks a lot.

    MayB, Nov 9, 2003
  13. MayB

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 18:20:41 GMT, MayB wrote:

    I didn't think it was, and I didn't take it that way; I simply spelled out some
    facts, and that's all. :)

    If you use google group's Advanced Search feature, and learn the various ways it
    can supply you with information, all will be revealed. The trick is to sort the
    wheat from the chaff, so to speak. It's a thing best learned by doing.

    "No one is really anonymous, online. Sometimes, people forget that, I think."

    Mara, Nov 9, 2003
  14. MayB

    Patrick Guest

    Simply putting (supposed)-e-mail-address into 'Google' search-engine and
    select 'Groups' !!!

    Result equals;
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&[email protected]_THIS.rr.com&sa=N&tab=wg

    or short version;
    http://tinyurl.com/uatq

    Patrick, Nov 9, 2003
  15. MayB

    MayB Guest

    MayB, Nov 9, 2003
  16. MayB

    trout Guest

    *This* explanation, I like. No need to 'shout' to emphasize a word.

    trout, Nov 9, 2003
  17. MayB

    cw Guest

    "Mustn't"? You're taking a liberty there. The worst you can do is to
    suggest, not to instruct.

    cw, Nov 9, 2003
  18. MayB

    cw Guest

    No it's not. It shows few posts under that ID. You might *infer*
    that means she's a newbie, but that's entirely in your own head.

    cw, Nov 9, 2003
  19. Sorry - this old timer is deaf - please SHOUT in your posts so I can
    hear you ;-)

    Pauline Johnson, Nov 9, 2003
  20. Not valid if a person changes email (to ditch a spam plagued address)
    and/or identities

    Pauline Johnson, Nov 9, 2003