    Or is this the way Norton assures that you will always need to buy new
    products from them?

    thx

    carlton.pemberbrook, Mar 1, 2007

  2. carlton.pemberbrook

    old man Guest

    She may have purchased either Norton AV or Norton Internet Security, which
    includes a firewall

    old man, Mar 1, 2007

  3. carlton.pemberbrook

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few
    bits myself:
    If your mother spent money on Norton anything, she needs to be locked up in
    an asylum.

    --
    Mhzjunkie

    1 PRINT "Windows Vista ERROR"
    GOTO 1
    END

    Mhzjunkie, Mar 1, 2007
  4. Depends upon what she paid - when she had the internet security product and
    not paid the extra tax anymore, it will be replaced by the crippled version
    that comes with the av product, called "worm blocker".
    Usually the importance of a "desktop firewall" is overestimated - the
    windows xp firewall blocks incomings just fine, and the
    outgoing "home-phoning" programs and maybe spyware that a "desktop
    firewall" (see the nonsense of that term, imagine the desktop burning with
    the firewall on it *eg*) may moan about, could as well be caught by
    brain1.0, setting up a "restricted user" account for mailing and surfing,
    and weekly antispyware scans (spybot s&d with added registry
    protection "teatimer", adaware ...). Both of them are freeware ...

    Walter Mautner, Mar 1, 2007
  5. carlton.pemberbrook

    Brian G Guest

    If you are originally running Norton Internet Security, then if it's
    uninstalled to set up the new Norton Anti-Virus program, I believe that you
    have the option to re-install the firewall only from the NIS set-up CD. I
    have never tried this, so I cannot confirm if that is a fact.

    Brian G, Mar 1, 2007
  6. In my opinion; and I think most people in the know would agree with me, I
    would remove Norton completely and install something else instead. : Norton
    has a footprint like a crater, and it's not as effective as many other
    products that accomplish the same more effectively.

    For instance Norton AV came near bottom in Computer Shopper's tests in the
    last issue; with even AVG Free scoring substantially higher. (Top was
    Steganos; near top was NOD32.) The entire Norton suite demands priority from
    your CPU and hogs system resources. There are a host of other issues with
    Norton which I haven't time to mention. : Get a better product.

    [email protected]£$, Mar 1, 2007
  7. thanks

    carlton.pemberbrook, Mar 4, 2007