    everyone should be using IE.

    My question is why do some URLs I click on every once in a while open
    IE instead of FF? It doesn't happen often, but I'm just curious.

    jackd, Mar 11, 2013

  2. jackd

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Generally there are two possible reasons.

    1. Which application opens a URL, depends on the URL's protocol.

    Examples of URL protocols
    http://www.google.com/ -- HTTP protocol
    mailto: -- MAILTO protocol
    ftp://mirrors.easynews.com/mozilla/ -- FTP protocol
    nntp://news.eternal-september.org/[email protected]
    -- NNTP protocol

    2. If clicking the URL tells Firefox to download a file and open it in
    a helper application, the helper application could be IE.

    Ralph Fox, Mar 11, 2013