    cpu approaches 100% after a few tabs are open even though there is no
    activity on any of the open tabs. Restarting the browser makes the cpu go bk
    down to almost nil. Any ideas how I can avoid this?

    Mac, Jan 31, 2009

  2. Mac

    thanatoid Guest

    Revert to SP2, /extensively/ examine and clean up everything
    that's /always/ running and starts-up automatically - most of it
    is unnecessary, check cache and RAM settings for the browsers
    and the machine in general.

    Near-100% CPU use would also indicate a high possibility of
    malware. The above really applies to RAM or resources loss, I
    didn't read your post carefully enough.

    thanatoid, Jan 31, 2009

  3. Mac

    Mac Guest

    This occurs even after a fresh install with either sp2 or 3, usually after a
    few hours or days. Sadly works fine in Vista

    Mac, Jan 31, 2009
  4. Mac

    thanatoid Guest

    (Well, that's the first time I read /that/!)

    What you say logically implies some bizarre CPU use on the part
    of XP which does NOT occur in Vista. That's all I can deduce -
    sorry I can't help you any more, I use 98SELite and I'm never
    downgrading to XP let alone Disasta. My CPU use is usually in
    the 1% - 5% range max.

    I'm surprised no one else has suggested anything.

    thanatoid, Jan 31, 2009
  5. Mac

    chuckcar Guest

    What do you have running in startup. I.E. beside the clock, how many icons
    are there?

    chuckcar, Jan 31, 2009
  6. Mac

    Evan Platt Guest

    Read much?

    "This occurs even after a fresh install with either sp2 or 3"

    Evan Platt, Feb 1, 2009
  7. Probably not much.

    Using normal reading skills and a bit of logic, you probably would have
    answered differently. Such as asking "Mac" how much RAM he has, since he
    hasn't stated that valuable fact yet.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 1, 2009
  8. Mac

    Mac Guest

    2GB ram and athlon 2200, even on a E4500 it was going up near 100%

    Mac, Feb 1, 2009
  9. Ok, then it isn't "things in startup." If it happens in five different
    browsers as you said in your first post, my next questions are:

    What anti-virus, anti-spyware applications have you run?
    Does it happen if you open the browsers to only one tab and wait awhile?
    Is this two different computers with the same problem?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 1, 2009
  10. See my subsequent post asking more questions.

    Why are you posting so far in the future? It's nowhere near that late
    anywhere in Canaduh. See your clock?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 1, 2009
  11. Mac

    Evan Platt Guest

    You know nothing of any kind.

    Fix your clock, idiot.

    Evan Platt, Feb 1, 2009
  12. Mac

    chuckcar Guest

    You know nothing of the kind. he fact that it's a consumer desktop points
    in the exact opposite direction. That along with the fact that you've offer
    no alternative solutions or suggestions as to what the problem could be
    should show the OP exactly how much he should be ignoring you.

    chuckcar, Feb 2, 2009
  13. Mac

    chuckcar Guest

    So you have plenty of ram and processing power. So obviously *something*
    is using that power. Something running. Hence my unanswered question.

    chuckcar, Feb 2, 2009
  14. Mac

    Mac Guest

    I have tried ubuntu and mintlinx which both seem to not have the cpu
    resource overload issue. The net connection is not an issue, I have tested
    it with speedtest.net and its approx 3000 KBS down 800 up

    Mac, Feb 2, 2009
  15. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Other processes are NOT the problem as taskmgr specifically indicates the
    brower utilizing close to 100%. Also, tried disabling my AV program (avast)
    without sucess.

    Mac, Feb 2, 2009
  16. Mac

    Mac Guest

    yes, sep PC's same version of XP

    Mac, Feb 2, 2009
  17. Mac

    chuckcar Guest

    Where's the backpedal? I said it was most likely startup and I still
    maintain that.
    What questions? the speed of the computer and the amount of ram? what
    *exact* cause did that tell you?
    So time zones confuse you do you? they've only been around since last
    century. EDT is +0500 UTC. That's New York city's time zone if you don't
    know *that* as well. +0000 UTC is Greenwich in England. It's my news
    *server's* time, idiot, not my clock.

    chuckcar, Feb 2, 2009
  18. Mac

    chuckcar Guest

    And if you leave task manager open and sort by CPU usage, Only IE goes
    to the top? The fact of the matter is that consumer desktops are bundled
    with *loads* of programs put in startup. It's set that way by a clean
    restore.

    chuckcar, Feb 2, 2009
  19. You mentioned Avast in another post. Any other anti-anything apps
    running?
    Two separate computers, both same XP with SP3, both with five different
    browsers, any of which will hog 100% CPU after opening multiple tabs. Is
    that it?

    Do you use the same home page in all those browsers? Is a page
    downloading videos or sumpin'?

    Remove SP3 from one of them and see what happens on that one.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 2, 2009
  20. Mac

    Evan Platt Guest

    Close, but no cigar.1847.