    then why does it fail so rapidly when exposed to water or high humidity?

    just curious,

    nate

    Nate Nagel, Oct 23, 2007

  2. Jeanette Guire

    Steve Barker Guest

    and........ proceeding to the next paragraph........

    :quoting from the same place you did:

    The name "duct tape" came from its use on heating and air conditioning
    ducts,

    end quote.....

    steve

    Steve Barker, Oct 23, 2007

  3. Jeanette Guire

    gfretwell Guest

    It is simply because the crap they sell at Wal-Mart is not GI grade
    (AKA 100 MPH duct tape). I had some I used on dive gear that held up
    for many years and regularly used under water.
    You can still buy it at some military type stores but it costs over
    $10 a roll.

    gfretwell, Oct 23, 2007
  4. Jeanette Guire

    gfretwell Guest

    It just is not approved by the testing labs that set HVAC standards
    and will not meet code anywhere.

    gfretwell, Oct 23, 2007
  5. That's all pretty brilliant, but all of that has been covered in the
    thread. Does no one read prior to posting anymore?

    John McWilliams, Oct 23, 2007
  6. Jeanette Guire

    dj_nme Guest

    The edges of flat roofs, the edges of walls between abutting buildings
    (to prevent ingress of moisture between them) and around openings in
    roofs (such as hatches, chimneys and skylights).

    dj_nme, Oct 23, 2007

  7. SIGH. It was named DUCK tape by GIs who used it to waterproof
    shipping containers, because 'Water flows off it, like water off a
    duck's back'.

    prove it.
    Member of DAV #85.

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida

    Michael A. Terrell, Oct 23, 2007
  8. Ex-urban legend. Plus this was already covered, ad naseum.

    John McWilliams, Oct 23, 2007
  9. Jeanette Guire

    Frank ess Guest

    Frank ess, Oct 23, 2007
  10. Jeanette Guire

    Noozer Guest

    Noozer, Oct 23, 2007
  11. Jeanette Guire

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The original product was called 'Duct tape', and while it was great for
    many uses, with a metalized cloth backing, and a rather thick adhesive,
    it was tested on actual ductwork, and found severely lacking for this
    use because the adhesive becomes hard when exposed to heat, and the tape
    turns loose. However, it has MANY other great uses, and the astronauts
    on Apollo 13 wouldn't have survived had they not had it along.
    It can be a valuable asset around the house, as long as you don't try to
    use it on heating ducts.

    The product known as 'Duck tape' is simply a cheap knock-off of the
    original product, and is, in my experience, vastly inferior.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2007
  12. Jeanette Guire

    Ron Hunter Guest

    An aluminum metal tape is also used to seal the seams between the
    metal-backed foam insulation on homes. The adhesive is permanent, and
    the tape is pretty expensive as such things go, but it keeps out the
    wind (and water) well.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2007
  13. Jeanette Guire

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Just how do you regard having your duct joints fall apart as desirable?
    Seems to be a bit of a disaster to me.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2007
  14. Jeanette Guire

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ironically, NOT for ducts. I suspect some fly-by-night heating and air
    conditioning people used it, and it took that name, but it has been
    shown to be a very ineffective tape for that application.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2007
  15. Jeanette Guire

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Original duct tape didn't have the same adhesive as the current product,
    and its many imitators.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 23, 2007
  16. Also possibly because it was made of cotton duck cloth.

    William Sommerwerck, Oct 23, 2007
  17. Jeanette Guire

    G Guest

    The biggest failure is drying out.

    greg

    G, Oct 23, 2007
  18. Jeanette Guire

    Chris Lewis Guest

    While perhaps not _quite_ Mil-Spec, you can get a very close equivalent
    at other places. Lee Valley carries it for example.

    Chris Lewis, Oct 23, 2007
  19. Jeanette Guire

    George Guest

    Because just like a lot of stuff there is a quality version and a cheepo
    version designed to be sold in big box stores.

    If you go to a real supply house you can buy quality duct tape.

    George, Oct 23, 2007
  20. Jeanette Guire

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Oct 23, 2007