    from a single AA cell. MD is a MO technology, so you're using a laser the
    whole time.

    Bob

    bob, Oct 26, 2004

  2. void

    George Guest

    A few reasons:
    1) power circuits tend to take up a fair amount of space...why make the
    camera unnecessarily
    large to save $25-30?
    2) power circuits generate heat
    3) and the number one reason (I'll bet) is who would want to tie up their
    camera for battery
    charging to save $25-30? I wouldn't buy such a camera...I'd want to be able
    to buy extra
    batteries and have them charging while I am shooting.

    George, Oct 26, 2004

  3. void

    Hunt Guest

    You can. I do it with my Canon DV camera all the time. Just make sure you have
    a camera that allows you to do this, otherwise expect the ConEd crew to stop
    by to restore your power, or plan on going to a camera repair shop.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Oct 26, 2004
  4. void

    bob Guest

    Have you ever seen a minidisc recorder? Very compact. Much smaller than
    most cameras. The heat doesn't seem to be an issue for them. Since this
    has been a standard feature of cell phones and MD gear for many years I
    doubt the circuitry adds much to the cost. Some MD players are in the
    $100 range.

    I don't have a strong preference one way or the other, but if my camera
    had a built in ability to charge the batteries, then I could carry less
    stuff when I travel. I don't usually shoot while I sleep.

    Since my camera doesn't have that ability, I need to carry my 1 hour
    charger, and schedule enough time to switch the batteries (6 cells but a
    4 cell charger.)

    I manage just fine, but the other would be handy.

    Bob

    Bob

    bob, Oct 26, 2004
  5. void

    Ken Tough Guest

    They use little power in operating, and thus need much less energy
    to charge their cells, and thus have to lose much less heat during
    the charging process. Compare the Ah of your average camera's
    battery to that of the mini-disc. Even the best has 4x the cell
    capacity.

    Ken Tough, Oct 26, 2004
  6. void

    bob Guest

    I'm not sure I understand. The Ah of each AA cell is 2100mAh. The MD
    recorder takes one. My friends Coolpix takes two. My Coolpix takes six.
    Granted six is a lot more than one, and I wouldn't really expect my camera
    to charge cells because of the wide extreem of power options, but what
    about his two cell camera? The cell itself doesn't care how much power the
    device drains -- it takes the same [current, time, voltage solution] to
    charge it back up.

    Regardless of that, I still think it's cool that they figgured a way to run
    a laser, a motor, and a pair of (itty bitty) speakers for 8 hours off a
    single AA cell.

    Bob

    bob, Oct 27, 2004
  7. void

    Patrick Boch Guest

    Charging in camera is a pain in the ass! When your shooting ...your
    constantly swapping out batteries...why have down time? and why put your
    camera through addition heat?

    --
    Patrick

    Patrick Boch, Oct 30, 2004