    You don't need a separate charger to charge a cellphone battery. You just
    attach an AC adapter to the phone and plug it into the wall.

    So why can't you do that for digital cameras?

    void, Oct 25, 2004

  2. void

    chidalgo Guest

    escribio:
    You do need a charger to charge a cellphone battery! the only diference
    with a digicam battery is the relative position of it.
    Don't get your point.

    chidalgo, Oct 25, 2004

  3. void

    Matt Ion Guest

    In some cases...
    Some can. All depends on the design.

    Matt Ion, Oct 25, 2004
  4. I think the OP's point is more like "why can't you charge digicam betteries
    while they are still in the camera?". Like you do with a cellphone. Instead of
    having to take them out and put them in a charger.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Oct 25, 2004
  5. void

    Matt Ion Guest

    Some you can.

    My dad's Kodak camera will take two AAs. It will also take a
    rechargeable pack that charges when the camera is on its optional dock
    (the pack is included with the dock).

    There are numerous variations on the theme...

    Matt Ion, Oct 25, 2004
  6. void

    chidalgo Guest

    Christopher Pollard escribio:
    One possible explanation is that some consumer digicams, they use
    normal AA's batteries, and you already have the charger (using the
    batteries for some others things, like a remote, a portable radio,
    flashlights, whatever), so the photo companies design the digicam as
    digicams and not as chargers :) In the case of cellphones, usually the
    battery is particular to a cellphone model, and you usually don't use
    the cellphone battery for others uses (or do you? ;-) ).

    In the case of pro-digicams, i need at least 2 or more packs of
    batteries ready to use, and at the same time need the camera in my hand
    to shoot. I can't afford to use the digicam as a charger, so i really
    need a external charger.

    That's my theory. Take it or dump it :)

    chidalgo, Oct 25, 2004
  7. void

    T-Rex Guest

    The size matters. Nobody wants to carry a camera with a built-in AC-DC
    transformer/adaptor.

    T-Rex, Oct 25, 2004
  8. If it's designed that way. I have at least one old analog cellphone
    that has no external power input on the phone, and can't charge
    batteries. To use this phone from auto DC power, you remove the battery
    and attach a "battery surrogate" with a cigarette lighter plug instead.
    The batteries are charged off the phone.
    You can, if you buy the right camera. For example, the Canon G series
    cameras have internal charging circuits, and external AC power supplies.
    You plug the power supply into the camera, and it will either charge the
    battery (camera turned off) or power the camera.

    But there are pros and cons to this. On the good side, the camera comes
    with an AC adapter - there's nothing extra to buy to run from AC. On
    the negative side, you can't be charging one battery while shooting with
    another one, unless you buy a separate charger. Some other Canon
    cameras (e.g. S500) come with a separate external battery charger.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 25, 2004
  9. void

    Justin Thyme Guest

    Some can - for example many Sony's and HP cameras do charge in camera. Also
    a few cameras from Fuji, Casio and some others also charge in camera. It is
    available as an option on many Kodak and Fuji cameras.
    Personally, I think in-camera charging would be a big PIA. If I bought a
    camera that had in-camera charging, it would need to have a huge capacity,
    because I normally have spare charged batteries on me. With out-of-camera
    charging, I can be using one battery while charging another. It is also easy
    to charge multiple spare batteries to have on hand. In-camera charging
    would be ok for light users, but when a manufacturer makes their camera to
    have in-camera charging, they are effectively blocking themselves out from
    heavy users.
    Most cameras that use AA's require you to buy a charger seperately, while
    most cameras that use LiIon batteries come standard with an external
    charger. Both systems allow you to have spare batteries on hand.

    Justin Thyme, Oct 25, 2004
  10. From a practical standpoint you may want to consider the heat issue.
    Batteries tend to get hot as they charge and that is best handled by
    allowing access to the air to cool while charging. Inside a camera the heat
    would be trapped and it might overheat other parts of the camera.

    Yes I know that same issue is there for cell phones, but the rate of
    charge seems to be less with them and the power rate less so it is less of a
    problem. The cell phones also tend to use different kinds of batteries.

    The real issue may be that most cameras use removable batteries and
    users are expected to have more than one set so when doing a lot of shooting
    will want to replace one set with another while charging the first rather
    than be stuck with waiting for the recharge.

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 25, 2004
  11. void

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Duh? I can. Depends on your camera.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 25, 2004
  12. void

    GT40 Guest

    So you can swap in good ones and keep take photos.

    GT40, Oct 25, 2004
  13. Many of the Li-Ion equipped cameras have this capability. I.e. I have it on
    my Canon G2. I think that they removed this capability from the G6, but I'm
    not sure. It is a very useful thing to have.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 25, 2004
  14. void

    Glenn Jacobs Guest

    There is another reason. If 120 volts goes directly into the camera, the
    entire camara needs to be UL approved. If 48 voltsd or less goes into the
    camera only the adapter needs to be UL approved. This is one reason that
    so many devices use the external adapter these days.

    Glenn Jacobs, Oct 25, 2004
  15. void

    Andy Turner Guest

    The latter situation means that you can still use the camera whilst
    charging your spare battery. I certainly prefer things to work that
    way. The only bummer is when the external charger is also the docking
    station and you have to take that whole thing on holiday - or buy a
    third party alternative.

    andyt

    Andy Turner, Oct 25, 2004
  16. void

    Tim Guest

    My camera has exactly the same Li-ion battery as my mobile phone! I
    can even interchange them!

    Tim, Oct 25, 2004
  17. void

    Larry Guest

    Depends on the brand of camera... most that can charge the
    battery in the camera use a proprietary battery, those that
    DONT use a wal-wart usually use AA batteries.

    If a camera uses "AA" size batteries, and it allows in-
    camera charging, some nit-wit will charge it up with non-
    rechargeables and either melt down the camera, or burn the
    house down, then sue the camera company.

    Larry, Oct 25, 2004
  18. void

    Larry Guest

    I agree with the PITA thing about in-camera charging.. the
    only time I do it is during my down time, and then only if
    I have more batteries than external chargers.

    I use Four Sony units (three digicams and a cam-corder all
    using the same battery) and own a dozen batteries that fit
    all of them.. If I had to charge all those batteries in-
    camera I'de go NUTS!

    My initial cost was high (sony chargers are NOT cheap) but
    the agravation level is low when you dont need to worry
    about charging.

    Larry, Oct 25, 2004
  19. void

    chidalgo Guest

    Tim escribio:
    Really?!?!?!

    Which camera, and which cellphone???

    chidalgo, Oct 25, 2004
  20. wrote in

    With some you can; Sonys with Li-Ion batteries allow this.

    The issue is the cameras that use AAs; without being able to control what
    sort of battery is inside, a charging circuit can cause a major problem
    with overheating or even explosion. Few manufacturers are foolish enough
    to take that risk.

    Albert Nurick, Oct 25, 2004